We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Castaways and bowman beach

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Shreveport...
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Castaways and bowman beach

My husband grandson an I are going to Castaways beach and bay cottages early thanksgiving week. Is bowman beach with in walking distance or driving?

DeLand, Florida
Level Contributor
445 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Castaways and bowman beach

At Castways you are across the street from Blinds Pass, you could walk to Bowmans but long beach walk.

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,984 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Castaways and bowman beach

It is a long walk - 2 miles one way? Beautiful walk however and you are going a great week.

Shreveport...
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Castaways and bowman beach

Maybe we'll stop before we get there and rinse off good before getting into truck to continue to castaways

Madison, Indiana
Level Contributor
272 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Castaways and bowman beach

Castaways is one of our favorite places to stay, and the beach (as mentioned) across the street or a short walk over the bridge of Blind Pass to Turner Beach are much better IMHO than Bowman's Beach. I'd check into Castaways and then explore those beaches, and then maybe drive to Bowman's another day. Somehow, Bowmans has always been disappointing for shelling when I've been there, if that's what you want..

Shreveport...
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Castaways and bowman beach

Thank you we are driving from northwest Louisiana down. That's why I thought stopping at bowmans beach on way to castaways would be better. We are looking forward to shelling to our hearts content. My fear is we will get there and there won't be as many as the post I keep up with are showing

Madison, Indiana
Level Contributor
272 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Castaways and bowman beach

It's hard to envision just how many shells are on the beaches, day after day, year after year, despite the collecting. It is a natural and constant replenishment, so don't worry about finding shells. Sometimes on Turner Beach, the tide will wash away the bank so that about a 3 foot deep layer is exposed---you can see the timeless "layering" of shells and sand particles that the tides add to daily. In a case like that, you have the ability to dig into the sand wall and retrieve some beauties that washed up some time ago.

Shreveport...
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Castaways and bowman beach

THANK YOU MY GRANDSON AND I STARTED COLLECTING SHELLS WHEN we took our first trip to navarra beach last year then this summer he wanted to go to gulf shores and we collected some yhere when i show him the ilove shelling page he's ready to find some big ones at gulf shores we each found a small sand dollar whole a day apart put they were very fragile and broke he hopes to find some larger ones and a starfish among other things

Madison, Indiana
Level Contributor
272 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Castaways and bowman beach

I've come up with some creative ways to "save" shells from breakage, if you're talking about breaking after packing. I always bring a piece or two of bubble wrap, flat in the bottom of the suitcase--doesn't take up much room. I also pack a few of small rubbermaid or Glad food storage containers--can pack small shells, sometimes with paper towels as padding.

In Dec 2010 I found an unbelievable number of sand dollars on a short stretch of beach--it was about mid-morning--i wasn't even shelling, just walking--and couldn't believe that no one else was collecting them. I packed them with the bubble wrap in layers in a rectangular box we'd bought a coffee cake in-- all survived without breaking!

I hope you have great shelling luck on the island--it's really difficult not to!

Shreveport...
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Castaways and bowman beach

actually the sand dollars made it home but broke in gentle cleaning i just received email from fort myers that the sand sculpting championship is going on while we are there so i guess i picked a good week to go but shells are priority one

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,984 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Castaways and bowman beach

Bring some elmers and a little paint brush - mix 50/50 water and elmers and paint the sand dollars a few times, letting dry between coats. Totally strengthens them, works like a charm.