We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sanibel - My report

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Any where warm!
Level Contributor
224 posts
Save Topic
Sanibel - My report

First...this was my first solo vacation. I loved it!!!! Sanibel was the perfect location....I fell in love with the island.

I stayed at Periwinkle Cottages on Jamicia Drive and thought Kathy and Mark were lovely hosts. The cottages reminded me of old world Florida and I was very comfortable and felt very safe there. They provided me with a beach pass to a very lovely and very private beach at the end of the road. Most days I had this beach to myself, shelling was wonderful!!! I would stay here again in a heartbeat!

My direct orders were to relax so that is exactly what I did. I ended up reading 4 books while on the island. I have always loved shelling, but never fully realized how truly relaxing it is. I loved finding what rolled up onto the shore, it was simply amazing. Some of my finds: sand dollars, spiny jewel box, florida cone, olives, shark eyes (many), so many sweet small shells (I loved those), fighting conch, juvie conch, and on and on. I carried them back in empty Pringles can and my padded makeup bag. Nothing broke!

I went to Cayo Costa State Park, I really enjoyed the ride over and the story told by the boat owner. While there I found 2 more sand dollars....there were 2 little kids on the tour so I actually played dumb and called them over and asked them if they knew what they were....they did and got so excited.....I let them keep them. I saw sting rays swimming, a gopher turtle on the shore and a bald eagle, it was so cool! But, I must admit, I LOVED the trees that were half in the ocean....I took tons of pictures in the hopes of being able to frame a few.

I did go to the outlet mall, but to be honest I wish I had not wasted my time, it was very similar to the outlet mall in the town next to my home. But I did find some great little shops that they don't have my way such as World Market and Trader Joe's. I did love the shops on Sanibel.

Okay now the bad part....I'm ashamed to admit, I think I had ice cream almost every day from Pinocchino's!!!! Yes, that's how much I loved it! I tried Sanibel Krunch, Sand Dollar, Wedding Bells and Parrots Nest....so flipping good all of it! How I wish I could get it in NY. I always say I'm a die hard Ben and Jerry's fan....but lordy thiis place is right up there!!

I ate at Island Cow 3 times. There was a server there by the name of Lindsey that was so sweet and kind....she made me so comfortable and honsetly I had such great meals. I loved the fish tacos, and I loved the grouper fried in coconut (yummy)....and their breakfast selection is outstanding! I find their host (who I think may be an owner) to be very friendly!!

I also ate at Matzaluna....OMG the crab bisque is some of the best I've ever had! I want it now.....I also had the crab alfredo....it was a crab-tastic evening!

Had breakfast at Sanbiel Cafe bisquits and gravy.....delish!

Got a piece of cake from the Bubble Room on Captiva Island.....it was the Orange Crunch Cake. The slice was as big as my head....took me days to finish it....so yummy!

For the rest of the time, I spent time on all the beaches and watched people fishing....drove around Captiva looking at what houses I could see (I'd never ride a bike on that island)!

I loved every minute I spent on Sanibel, and I can't wait to go again!!! Thank you to everyone who gave me tips. I do plan on putting my shells to good use and making a mirror with them!

Happy travels to all.

DeLand, Florida
Level Contributor
445 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sanibel - My report

I am glad you had a great trip. The coconut grouper at Island cow is a great dish and so is the orange cake. Sanibel is a great slice of Heaven on Earth!

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sanibel - My report

Sounds just excellent! We have plenty of outlet malls all over Jersey (none near me) and no tax on clothing, so it's cheaper here.

Glad the shelling treated you well. (And yes, I've done that trick with kids too. I have plenty of shells and love getting the young ones hooked!)

Sanibel Cafe is my favorite breakfast spot. I love the raspberry pancakes.

So glad you felt comfortable. I've done 'alone time' there often and always had a good time. Thumbs up to the orange crunch cake!

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
1,290 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sanibel - My report

Marin, it is a joy to read your report. Thanks for posting it. Glad you enjoyed Periwinkle Cottages. We have never stayed there, but appreciate the positive feedback. Sorry you had a non-sensible car rental. I hope that gets resolved. Glad you got up to Cayo Costa. That is a fun trip. As for Pinocchio’s, their ice cream is too good and too much for MurexAlice and me. We usually split a small one between us, although sometimes it takes "us" a while to decide on what we want, but that is another matter. Hope you are able to return to paradise soon.

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
172 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sanibel - My report

Great trip report.

The Sanibel Crunch was the best ice cream I have ever had.

Frankenmuth...
Level Contributor
60 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sanibel - My report

It was great to read your report! My husband and I are headed to Sanibel in 3 weeks for our annual trip and it makes me even more excited! Glad to hear you mention Matzaluna...it is one of my favs.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sanibel - My report

Sanibel Crunch = yummmmmm! Sounds like you had an amazing time, thanks for the report, loved reading it!

Florida
Level Contributor
73 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sanibel - My report

Your trip sounds like heaven!

8. Re: Sanibel - My report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 08:17
Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island