We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arrived in Sanibel today!

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
4,635 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Arrived in Sanibel today!

We arrived today. Weather is perfect...sunny and around 80.

We love Oceans Reach! Condo is beautiful...spotless and exactly as pictured online.

We walked the beach for awhile and then had a late lunch at The Island Cow. I had coconut crusted mahi-mahi on baby greens salad...yum! Santa was out front on his sleigh pulled by dolphins. This was our first time eating there.

We drove up to Blind Pass for the sunset. There were so many pelicans diving for fish and we also saw dolphins swimming back and forth. Great sunset as always.

On the way home we stopped at Jerry's for some snacks and food for the condo. Loved the Christmas decor and macaw and parrot (Jerry Junior) in the big cages. However, we really should have taken out a second mortgage to shop at Jerry's. The prices were outrageous! $8.00 for a half gallon of ice cream! I pay $2 at home. And $6.00 for a pound of butter! Ridiculous. Needless to say, we did not buy too much. The pick up service at the parking lot was nice but still didn't make up for those prices. I think it will be cheaper to eat out.

Tomorrow we are going to bike around the island and perhaps check out Bowman's Beach or maybe Lighthouse Beach. Or maybe Ding Darling. As you can see, plans are flexible at this point. Just enjoying the weather and decompressing, relaxing...just chillin'!

Going to bed soon...was up before 5 today and am absolutely exhausted

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
606 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arrived in Sanibel today!

$2 for a half gallon of ice cream? Must not be very good - can't even get the store brand here for that price. Everything is relative - I remember pricing a trip to Boston just last year. Seems to me parking a car at a Boston hotel was a heck of a lot more than your $2 ice cream. How much is parking at your Sanibel condo? :)

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,635 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arrived in Sanibel today!

Parking at our condo here is free.

I can get a half gallon of Friendly's ice cream for $2.50 on sale and it is usually $2.99. And it is delicious...some of the best ice cream you can get! The store brand is $1.99 on sale. The store brand butter is also $2 - $3. Frozen pizza is $4 for the same size I saw at Jerry's for $8.

No one in their right mind would pay those prices. I have never seen such high prices in any grocery store, not even the organic ones.

I am sure it is expensive to park in Boston. I actually live about 20 miles north of Boston.

I make it a point to never stay at hotels anywhere that charge for parking. To me that is like a store or restaurant charging you to park and give them business!

Anyway we bought the bare minimum we had to and won't go back... No big deal.

We love everything else about Sanibel!

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Arrived in Sanibel today!

Odd, I find Jerry's prices very close to what I pay for the same brands here in North Jersey, maybe 10% more. I can't by a PINT of Ben and Jerry's even on sale for less than $3. It's normal price is about $5. Pound of unsalted Land o'Lakes butter is around $5.70 Large frozen pizza like DiGiornio is $6.49 60 $7.39 depending on which one.

And I find the wine prices LOWER than here.

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,635 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arrived in Sanibel today!

Well then, I shall get down and kiss the ground at my local grocery store when I get home.

Anyone here from northeast Mass/southern NH who shops at Market Basket will know what I am talking about.

I will say that I have shopped at Publix on previous trips to Florida, and found their prices far more reasonable than Jerry's

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
606 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arrived in Sanibel today!

It is the price of vacationing on an island. I can't expect to park a car in Boston for cheap, you shouldn't expect groceries on Sanibel to be cheap. Jerry's has been around a long time and always seems busy when I am there. They must be doing something right. Yes, Publix is cheaper. That's why most people on a budget stop there on their way to the island.

Pompano Beach...
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arrived in Sanibel today!

Carmela- there is a publix off island just over the bridge, much lower prices. However there is a $6 toll. It is high season right now and prices for everything are much higher. Enjoy the rest of your vacation!

Pompano Beach...
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arrived in Sanibel today!

You don't have to be on a budget to want resonable grocery prices! It is not like a hotel in St Augustine with dirty floors and bug pieces for less then $150 a night in the middle of the downtown district. Anyone who comments on these forums should be entitled to their opinion without being subjected to snide remarks. Guess we ALL have have priorities of how we wish to spend our tourist dollars while on vacation!

Sanibel, FL
Level Contributor
926 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arrived in Sanibel today!

Try the farmers market this morning. Open until one. Great produce and prices are low. Very interesting selection of breads. Pastas and sauces. Seafood , cheeses, candies and fun

Located in Dunlop near library. I love it.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Arrived in Sanibel today!

Ha! Love the budget comment!

I'm an off Island Publix shopper!

I'm always on a budget when I travel, especially to Sanibel and Captiva where rental prices can be well beyond what we pay elsewhere in prime Florida beach vacation destinations. Doesn't mean I can't afford to shop at Jerry's, just means I choose NOT to pay Island prices for our groceries.

WIth 3 kids along, I'd rather spend our vacation dollars on accommodations and dinner out and fun things like the Thriller and parasailing on Captiva! Oh and we never leave the Island without a visit to She Sells SeaShells and The Tower Art Gallery. We always drop a few bucks on some local art!

@Carmela, Bailley's grocery store is a little more reasonable than Jerry's. We run in there for things we run out of during the week

As for a pund of Land O' Lakes Butter, I stock up when it's on sale for $2.50 per pound, because I hate paying the regular price of $3.79 for a pound up here

I think I might lick the floor of my grocery store next time I go in!

Edited: 02 December 2012, 15:00
10. Re: Arrived in Sanibel today!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 December 2012, 20:35