We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Side trip from Daytona

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
1,200 reviews
Save Topic
Side trip from Daytona

My daughter's cheer team is competing at Nationals in Daytona in April. My husband and I were thinking of extending the stay and spending some time on Sanibel. How far is the trip?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,525 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Side trip from Daytona

Not sure of the distance but any of the online map websites will give you that. Driving time though is about 6 hours give or take.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
1,200 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Side trip from Daytona

6 HOURS---

What airport would you recommend flying into? Is there a central spot or should I do open jaw?

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,354 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Side trip from Daytona

You could open-jaw Daytona and Ft Myers, or just go to and from Orlando or Tampa.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,525 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Side trip from Daytona

Orlando airport will probably have the most flights from any of the NYC airports. If you're not set on Sanibel, Clearwater Beach is much nearer - about 3 to 3.5 hours from Orlando.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Side trip from Daytona

I've done that drive, and depending on the route, it will be about 4.5 to just over 5 hours of driving + time for stops and maybe a meal, so yes, 6 hours total is not unreasonable.

You could consider Anna Maria Island, a nice spot, but not Sanibel.

I've done open-jaw and flown home from RSW (nearest Sanibel) or TPA (more flight options). If you stay at Anna Maria, use TPA. (Tampa airport to Sanibel about 2.5 hours, give or take, depending on the route you drive)

Orlando has abundant cheap fares and generally more flight option than Daytona, but both work for the inbound flight.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
1,200 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Side trip from Daytona

We are booked and ready for Daytona flying into Jacksonville from NY and home from Ft Meyers via JetBlue. The drive from Daytona is not my favorite part but ya gotta do what you can to squeeze a bucket list opportunity out of a cheer competition trip!! I am excited and getting ready to plan.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,354 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Side trip from Daytona

That's an extensive trip. A few things to see:

http://www.moas.org/main.cfm

Ground sloth!

http://www.ormondscenicloopandtrail.com/

There is a magnificent live oak forest in Bulow Creek State Park. Park at the gate to Bulow Plantation Ruins State Park.

"Ding" Darling National Wildlife Refuge on Sanibel is hugely popular. More visitors than Everglades National Park.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
1,200 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Side trip from Daytona

Thanks..I will be well rested..we are vacationing for Easter in Cozumel the week before---this was a bonus add!

Ft.Myers Beach,FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers Beach
Level Contributor
3,333 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Side trip from Daytona

lollygal should be luckygal-what a great trip, hope the weather is perfect.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
1,200 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Side trip from Daytona

Thanks me too!!! Another check off the bucket list!!