We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandalfoot vs Oceans Reach vs Sand Pointe

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
MIssouri
Level Contributor
96 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Sandalfoot vs Oceans Reach vs Sand Pointe

We will be vacationing on Sanibel Island in June. Accomodations have left me preplexed and after much research here the three above have made the cut. (And possibly something at Casa Ybel, though I couldn't find any/many 2BR for my dates ... do they really book that far ahead?)

I'm looking for insight please on the three above. 2 adults, possibly 4 adults, and 2 kids ages 7 and 11.

I'm looking for fairly uncrowded beaches, but would like some other kids around for my two. I'm wanting nice accomdations with large beach frontage (for the kids 'wow' factor). Would like to be close enough to bike for evening ice cream or to grab a bite to eat. Though we will have a rental car, so not a deal breaker.

Being close enough to condo to run back for bathroom breaks would be a plus.

One thing I do need to explore more is the pools. My 7yo is not a strong swimmer, I would like a pool with a shallow end for him (3' would be fine). From what I see online most pools look to be 6' ... again this is not a deal breaker just something to keep in mind.

I would appreciate your insight.

Thanks!!

MIssouri
Level Contributor
96 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandalfoot vs Oceans Reach vs Sand Pointe

Wait a minute ... maybe I'm confusing Sand Pointe with Pointe Santo de Sanibel?? Which one is which?? I'm sorry, this is confusing.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandalfoot vs Oceans Reach vs Sand Pointe

Sand Pointe is further down West Gulf past Tarpon Bay Rd but before Shalimar Cottages. Hard to say if other kids would be there. It's quite, calm, restful - but the issue might be other kids to play with.

If I were choosing between Ocean's Reach and Pointe Santo with 6 people, I'd take Pointe Santo. The 2 bedroom units at Ocean's Reach are rather small, but then again, I don't like feeling crowded, or having no real privacy, so it's a personal thing. They are close enough that the beach area is quite similar, tough Ocean's Reach has the conservation area around it and no other large condo complexes, so it's quieter despite the presence of Gulfside City Park next to it. Point Santo has larger units and more extensive, lush landscaping, but other than the direct beachfront units, it would be further from the beach. On the upside, there are bathrooms at the pool, which sits to the front of the property by the beach. That's a big plus with kids. Both have lots of families.

Now throwing Sandalfoot in is interesting. Sandalfoot was where my friends always stayed in a ground floor walkout units beachfront and short of an eviction notice, they wouldn't stay elsewhere. Like Ocean's Reach, the units are fairly small. You have a nice night time view back to the west coast from Ft Myers Beach on down to Bonita.

Based on space, staying straight 2 bedroom, Pointe Santo has the most spacious units followed very closely by Sand Pointe.. Choose the 2 bed+ den (usually rented as a 3 bedroom) at Pointe Santo and they are about TWICE the size of Ocean's Reach or Sandalfoot. For me, that would factor into the equation. However, being the largest of your complex choices, as well as one of the most popular and it's proximity to Tarpon Bay Beach access, it will also have the most people. There are pluses and minuses to that. They do offer beachfront walkout units, but the property is deep and the units in back are quite a walk to the beach.

Sand Pointe is the only complex in the mix that does not have ground floor units, . Also, most units would be back further from the beach than Pointe Santo beachfront or any condo at Ocean's Reach. Pointe Santo has a smallish pool for a complex of 140 units. Sandalfoot is the next largest with about 72 units, then Sand Point and Ocean's reach are similar in size at around 40-50 units. Also, I believe the laundry facilities at Sandalfoot are shared, not in each unit.

Point Santo often has a half day kids program available on site. You might want to check on that.

Now it's your choice.

England
Level Contributor
1,713 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandalfoot vs Oceans Reach vs Sand Pointe

Tourmaline covers most aspects but I would just add in relation to Sandalfoot, that pictures would indicate that the pool has a shallow end.

It's also within short biking distance of East end shops/few restaurants, though note - no street lights so not too late( sunset approx 20:30) for evening eats. Also close to lighthouse which could be nice though it may be busier on the beaches this end.

Most restaurants and shops a car would be best.

Haven't stayed there but it looks nice and got a TA award 2012.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandalfoot vs Oceans Reach vs Sand Pointe

Sandalfoot is the next largest with about 60 units (sorry, multiplied by the wrong number of buildings

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,151 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandalfoot vs Oceans Reach vs Sand Pointe

Given the age of your kids and what you are looking for, Pointe Santo de Sanibel would be perfect. Most of the condos are 2 bedrooms and have some view of the Gulf. There are 5 buildings that are in a horseshoe pattern around the pool & lagoon with the open end facing the gulf. The A & E buildings have both gulf front and gulf view units, the B & D buildings are on the sides of the horseshoe and have nice gulf views, and the C building is at the back of the property and is furthest from the beach. First floor units are on the ground floor and have walk out balconies and 4th floor units are have roof top sundecks. All have screened balconies. The pool, hot tub, and clubhouse are on an island in the middle of the lagoon and is centrally located to all buildings. The pool has a shallow end that is great for kids and kids activities are run from the clubhouse. Great place to stay with kids.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,180 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sandalfoot vs Oceans Reach vs Sand Pointe

Just throwing in my two cents worth based on having followed all your posts. In your situation, I would consider a ground floor / 1st floor unit at Pointe Santo...one in a building situated close to the beach. Plenty of room for guests 5 & 6 should they decide to join you. Easy in and out for the (no doubt) excited and busy children). Likely your best opportunity to meet other families with youngsters of similar age (but no guarantees). There are many units at PS, but the grounds are spacious and lovely...definitely provide the atmosphere of "being on vacation".

It may be that some other complex on Sanibel would be a better fit for you, but no way to predict that precisely. Oceans Reach is my favorite now, but we really enjoyed PS with the grandkids on several prior visits and they loved it there. The children enjoyed "exploring" and some of the daily activities offered. So...if I were asked today to "babysit" grandchildren the ages of your kids, I think PS would be my destination. Certainly more spacious if your extra guests decide to join you.

Good Luck with your decision and have a wonderful time planning and anticipating....

Edited: 17 January 2013, 22:21
Toronto
Level Contributor
390 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sandalfoot vs Oceans Reach vs Sand Pointe

I stayed at Oceans Reach in October and had a great stay (I did submit a review).

The location is perfect, beach front but only a short distance from the main strret in Sanibel, very easy to bike to the stores and restaurants.

Because the complex is beachfront, going back and forth between units and the beach is quick and easy.

MIssouri
Level Contributor
96 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sandalfoot vs Oceans Reach vs Sand Pointe

Thank you everyone, you have been most helpful. If I could just make up my mind!!! LOL

Im teetering between Pointe Santo and Oceans Reach. Determining factor is really crowded beach at this point. Given PS's size, location (in comparison to OR) and the time of year (June) what am I looking at in terms of people on the beach? I want to be able to sleep late, roll out of bed and easily get a spot for my umbrella and the kids some room to build a castle, without bumping into the family next to me. Thoughts???

We have never visited the beach before, so I'm not sure what to expect.

Thanks!

Altoona...
Level Contributor
7 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sandalfoot vs Oceans Reach vs Sand Pointe

Your travel dates?

MIssouri
Level Contributor
96 posts
13 reviews