We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

On Sanibel right now

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
90 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
On Sanibel right now

Our family arrived on the island on Friday. It says a lot about how much we love it that we are willing to drive 24 hours! That allows us to afford two weeks.

A couple of notes. We went to Doc Fords, Saturday night and it was excellent, yucatan shrimp, fish tacos and scallop special. Hubby enjoyed rum drinks (I drove).

We finally made it to the farmers market and it's really worth the visit.

No seeums are very bad this year. I've been bitten a lot and my daughter has counted at least twenty bite marks. Have never been bitten previously.

Someone who had been coming here for 26 years told us the shelling wasn't very good. But we've found several cones and hubby found a nearly perfect 8" horse conch yesterday.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: On Sanibel right now

When you find a cone, I'd say shelling is great!

Have a fantastic time on the Island!

Toronto
Level Contributor
90 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: On Sanibel right now

One thing I forgot to mention. Due to shortage, stone crab has gone up 10.00/lb. One pound order is 40.00 !

Edited: 22 April 2013, 12:59
Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: On Sanibel right now

Thanks for the update! Ahh...Yucatan shrimp. But yowser on the stone crab! Glad you enjoyed the market; I will miss having it available in October. Keep us posted if you have the time!

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: On Sanibel right now

$40/lb????? YIKES! Cone shells are not common, so that's a good find!

United States
Level Contributor
6,245 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: On Sanibel right now

Thanks for the report. All sounds like a good vacation so far, except for the noseeums, who think I'm the greatest find ever! Tell them I'm coming soon and maybe they will leave you alone, to wait for their favorite! Since I'm allergic to shellfish, I won't worry about that part.

Have fun for two weeks!!

Sanibel, FL
Level Contributor
926 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: On Sanibel right now

We have been experiencing a lot of rain - cause for noseeums and possibly better shelling.

Toronto
Level Contributor
90 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: On Sanibel right now

Since we've arrived, rain has come at night and mornings have been overcast with the rising sun burning it off. We found two nine inch horse conchs yesterday (that makes three biggies). One still had some remains of the animal inside and let me tell you, I've never smelled anything so foul. The inside is being bleached and hopefully that eradicates it....so foul.

Toronto
Level Contributor
90 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: On Sanibel right now

As I mentioned, we have been lucky enough to find several large horse conchs. I have read the shell cleaning section and they have already been bleached. I just wanted to know if boiling will remove the white marks made by hitchhiking shells.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: On Sanibel right now

Congrats on the conchs!

One of my favorite Sanibel shellers did a tutorial on cleaning conchs, you can find it here:

iloveshelling.com/blog/…

Looks like form her posts that the carrier shell marks did come clean. Good luck with that stinky smell!

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: On Sanibel right now

Take the one with the 'remains' and try burying it in the sane for a few days. The critters should take care of that for you. Bleach generally won't. You can use a nail brush and dental pick on horse conchs too. Or boil them when you get home. Wow, horse conchs are deep water shells, so you're lucky to be finding them! Largest I even found was about 6 inches.

Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island