We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sanibel for breakfast

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ohio, Illinois
Level Contributor
64 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Sanibel for breakfast

Best breakfast cafe on sanibel ? Looking for comfort food one morning next week, thx !

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sanibel for breakfast

Three good choices

Lighthouse Cafe on Periwinkle on the east end (left as you enter the island toward the Lighthouse). Specialty is various eggs Benedict.

Sanibel Cafe in Tahitian Gardens Shops - pancakes and waffles. Love their raspberry pancakes and homemade sausage patties (peppery) at glass topped tables filled with fossilized shells.

Over Easy Cafe at the end of Periwinkle in Old Sanibel Shops on Tarpon Bay Rd (sort of straight across the all way stop intersection on the left end). Specialty is eggs, especially omelets, and cinnamon rolls.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sanibel for breakfast

We like breakfast at Over Easy Cafe, the eggs benedict are perfect, husband and kids love their omelets! Service is always good and you can eat outside if you want.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
66 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sanibel for breakfast

The cafe inside Jerry's Foods supermarket on Periwinkle gets great reviews. I've always enjoyed their breakfast (and lunch!)

*~*~*

Brookfield...
Level Contributor
115 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sanibel for breakfast

My all-time favorite "deluxe" breakfast on the island is Over Easy Cafe. I've never been disappointed by the food there; the wait, well, that's a different story :). At least you can shop around the plaza while waiting for a table to open up.

Sanibel Cafe is also a great breakfast, but to me it feels more like a home town diner than a pampered breakfast. Still, there's nothing wrong with a home town diner!

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sanibel for breakfast

See, now I think Over Easy is over rated and the waits far longer than the food deserves. I do like eating outside. That part is one of its best features. It's breakfast, and that's about as easy as food gets. I liked it better when it was Calamity Jane's. The French toast was excellent. I am, however, in the minority in that opinion.

And yes, Sanibel Cafe does have a 'diner' or small home town feel to it.

There are two more places - Island Cow - a family place with an extensive menu, but I honestly can't speak to the food as I've not eaten there.

The other spot is on Captiva on Andy Rosse Lane next to the Island Store, RC Otters. It's standard breakfast fare, but the location is excellent, outdoor dining in a very casual 'beachy' setting. Stroll down the road to the Gulf of Mexico.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sanibel for breakfast

Ahhh, the benefits of going off season. No waiting in line for breakfast!

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sanibel for breakfast

You might be a morning person, bean. I'm a confirmed nightowl. What I miss on Sanibel is a place open late that serves a top notch breakfast. I have some trouble getting excited over breakfast, though I do enjoy it once in a while. I am a profound critic of French toast, a favorite food of mine, but usually dinner for me. I make excellent - and proper - French toast, so getting store bought gummy white bread soaked in slightly eggy milk and fried is NOT cutting it with me.

Also, I'm a bacon snob. Yes, bacon and pizza. I can think of maybe 6 places that make proper bacon, and those were insanely expensive for breakfast. And yeah, I do hand cut my own bacon at home. That's why I eat sausage in the restaurants. LOL

Edited: 14 May 2013, 18:00
Waukee, Iowa
Level Contributor
175 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sanibel for breakfast

Recipe for proper French toast, please!

Newtown...
Level Contributor
418 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sanibel for breakfast

Here on Sanibel now... Definitely prefer Over Easy to Lighthouse or Sanibel Cafe. Went to Sanibel Cafe today to try the raspberry pancakes that get rave reviews on this forum and much to my dismay, they were out of raspberries!!! Coffee at Sanibel Cafe is terrible! Over Easy orange rolls can't be beat! Enjoy!

Sanibel, FL
Level Contributor
458 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sanibel for breakfast

My breakfast favorites are --Over Easy Cafe, Lighthouse Cafe, Island Cow, and Sanibel Cafe. If you wnat just a starndard breakfast at a reasonable price--Jerry's.