We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

pointe santo aug 2013

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Southern NH
1 post
Save Topic
pointe santo aug 2013

I'm considering renting a condo w/ my husband and two daughters, 16 and 18 years old. Any suggestions? Will it be oppresively hot? Is there enough for teens to do? Anyone have info abt this condo complex? The pics look nice...but you never know... Thanks !

INDIANA
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: pointe santo aug 2013

My family has vacationed on Sanibel for 15 years now. We stayed at Pointe Santo the first year we visited and we have never stayed anywhere else. While we have used different units within the complex, we wouldn't dream of going elsewhere. The pool is smallish but adequate. The landscaping is awesome and the beach is nice as well. Every unit we have stayed in was clean and met our needs well. We will be visiting again in July as return visitors to unit E26. For us, the experiences we have had with Pointe Santo leave us with no reason to look elsewhere. I hope you find it enjoyable as well. :) As for your other questions, it will be hot, but the breeze will keep you cooled down. Use PLENTY of waterproof sunscreen. Our two teenaged daughters usually found "friends" to hang with and I never heard them complain about being bored. I don't know if this will be your first visit to the island but there are a lot of nice shops to visit, a movie theater, and plenty of casual dining. And of course, the shelling is unlike anywhere else I've found. I hope you have a great vacation!

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,188 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: pointe santo aug 2013

I agree with everything Flabslab says. After staying at many other properties (all of them great) we discovered Point Santo over 25 years ago and have been coming back ever since. The property has been incredibly well maintained and many of the condos have been upgraded and remodeled (make sure you get one of those). It also has a great beach front with lots of chairs and a volley ball net so all the kids tend to get together there. Good location not far from Bailey's and many restaurants. You have found the right place.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: pointe santo aug 2013

The Florida schools go back around mid-August, so Sanibel gets very quiet late in that month and all of September. Yes, it is hot and humid, but as Flabslab mentioned, there is usually a breeze off the water. It is also hurricane season and the time of year for tropical depressions that can linger and the usual afternoon thunder storms most days, though some don't bring rain to Sanibel. (They tend to be small storms.) This all translates into fewer kids around in mid-August to early October. But Pointe Santo is one of the best places to find families. The other ones are Sundial, Casa Ybel, and to a lesser extent Loggerhead Cay, the first two being more 'resort-ish' than Pointe Santo complete with restaurants and much higher prices.

The upside is the island restaurants don't usually require reservations - no lines - and there's very little traffic. The Gulf is calm most days, unless storms whip it up. The later in the month, the fewer people with be around. Pointe Santo is a good size complex, so there's always other folks there and you are close enough to Casa Ybel that you can walk there and enjoy a drink at their pool bar/restaurant if you like. You're also near enough to places like Over Easy Cafe that you could walk there for breakfast, but given the humidity, that could be uncomfortable. It would be an easy bike ride too, if the family enjoys that. The island cinema is near as is Bailey's Market too, so all in all, it's a good spot.

Edited: 29 May 2013, 19:44
Miami
Level Contributor
161 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: pointe santo aug 2013

Though I've not stayed at Pointe Santo, I've gone to Sanibel or Captiva each year in late July or early August for the past 7 years. My girls are now 18/21 YO. Mine settle into an immediate routine: they sleep late, noodle on their computers, and usually do a daily excursion. Options include the Sanibel bookstore, to Jerry's Red Box for a movie, maybe an ice cream, Bubble room dessert or Starbucks (on Captiva) run, a movie. Once they went to the historical village. They do some beach lounging and usually watch the sunset with me. They may sunbathe at the pool early in the morning or later in the afternoon since mid day is pretty intense. They have never once complained of boredom, and always seem to be enjoying themselves thoroughly.

We'll be there the first week of August this year. A great time to visit, it's quiet all around the island and every place you go except the beach is air conditioned. Even storms are pleasant; nothing like being curled up with a good book, or sitting on the patio with a glass of wine while the rain pours down. Enjoy your visit!

Mid-Atlantic
Level Contributor
306 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: pointe santo aug 2013

We loved staying there until there was a theft. We won't return.

houston
Level Contributor
68 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: pointe santo aug 2013

The pool is tiny & crowded, if pool is important, I would look elsewhere. Otherwise, location & complex are great!

Maryland
Level Contributor
198 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: pointe santo aug 2013

HI, we also have been going to Sanibel for the last 4 years or so, staying at Pointe Santo every time. We will be there in Aug. also. Maybe we'll see you. We are staying in E41. We do tend to get a little restless after awhile bc the island is low key. Every visit, we will go to the Miromar Outlets (35 min. away?) and also we will go into Ft. Myers Beach boardwalk area. That kicks it up for us ... we also do mini golf in FMB. Yes, you have to repay the toll, but it's not much. Just a suggestion!!

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
867 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: pointe santo aug 2013

Mid to late august is generally a quieter time than earlier in the summer (most local schools are already back in session) so pool crowding will be less of an issue than earlier in the summer.

As for theft, there have been a number of incidents this year all over the island; almost all of these involve items taken from unlocked vehicles or condos. Overall Sanibel still is one of the safest destinations in Florida.

9. Re: pointe santo aug 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2014, 07:17