We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sanibel Accomodations

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chappaqua, New York
Level Contributor
105 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Sanibel Accomodations

We are a party of 4 (2 adults + 2 teens) who vacation together to re-connect as a family + make great memories. Looking at Sanibel mid-August before school starts here in NY. We love the beach, nature, and outdoor activities. Sanibel gets the thumbs-up over Captiva due to the great bike paths, we plan to rent bikes for the week. My kids will have a blast!

I have narrowed-down to 2 complexes: Casa Ybel and Pointe Santo.....should I consider another in the mix? And, any recommendations for reputable management companies (or owners) to book reservations thru?

Thanks in advance!

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sanibel Accomodations

Pointe Santo is a condo complex while Casa Ybel is a resort, are you looking for resort features? There are tons of oceanfront condo complexes that will have occupancy in August.

Take a look at Royal Shell Vacations:

http://www.royalshell.com/

They are the largest rental agency on the Island. Easy to plug in your dates and book online.

Edited: 07 July 2013, 21:53
Chappaqua, New York
Level Contributor
105 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sanibel Accomodations

Royal Shell is what I needed! Much appreciated!

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sanibel Accomodations

Casa Ybel is a combination timeshare and hotel, so most of the units rent thru the resort or timeshare sites where folks sell their weeks or have the resort rent them out. (Time share weeks run Fri-Fri).

Pointe Santo has units at all the island agencies, of which Royal Shell is the largest. Select Vacation Properties is another.

Chappaqua, New York
Level Contributor
105 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sanibel Accomodations

Much appreciated! Most biggest criteria is "clean" due to allergy problems with my family. so I am grateful for your suggestions. I would prefer a condo unit, as long as the pictures represented are accurate. Thanks!

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sanibel Accomodations

Keep in mind, condos see hard use and just like hotel photos, they aren't NOW they are THEN. Read the agency description and see when the unit was updated. Some are recent, some 5 years ago, some far longer. Kitchens could be great, I had one unit at Captiva Hideaways where the owner, an interior decorator, did a GREAT job completely renovating the condo - new kitchen, baths, all new furniture - and when I arrived, the stove was out of order. I could use the cooktop, not the oven. When I lift, it still wasn't fixed and not because they weren't trying. The part had to come from overseas!

Now for me, it didn't matter, but if a family with kids had been there and walked in to find no oven and their planned menus shot, that would have been a nightmare.

This is the subtropics, and try as they might, problems happen in the newest, cleanest units. Repair people don't want to travel all the way to the islands to fix things. I know of SOuth Seas, the timeshare maintenance people are closed Sat and Sun and the units turn on Fri, so come in late Fri, have a dead fridg, and it isn't till sometime Monday that you can get any action!

It's the way things work. You need to choose your battles and understand, problems happen. It isn't the agency's fault. It isn't the owners fault. Island life moves differently.

Now if the place is dirty - yeah, that's the agency and/or owner. The paint job is messy - owner. The furniture shot - usually owner, but the previous tenant could wreck something, hide it, it doesn't get caught - and BAM it's your fault!

I don't own a condo or any other property there, but I see what people do and I've talked to a lot of property managers and locals. You'd be astonished at how people behave because it's a rental. The stories were beyond my comprehension that ANYONE would do such things.

There are bad owners and bad tenants. SOmetimes the agents take the blame - and sometimes they deserve! Most often, it's just making sure your expectation are in the realm of island reality.

If you have a person with severe allergies, go for a carpet free unit if possible. Or stay at a place where changing units is possible - with rentals, it isn't unless something awful happens. Consider other places where you can find some brand new renovation (just keep in mind my own experience). ANd check on getting an air cleaning system rented, just in case, Ask when indoor insect control will be done (that's unpleasant, but essential). Agencies don't have all the answers, but if they care, and you explain your issue, the good agents will try their best.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sanibel Accomodations

Take a look at Sayana Condos. There are only 9 Units total in the complex. They are on West Gulf drive on a very tropical piece of property. The kids will probably have the pool to themselves in August. Royal Shell Vacations and VIP Rentals both manage units there.

My youngest son has asthma and severe allergies, my BIGGEST concern is always CLEAN! We have rented through Royal Shell Vacations for years. We have never had a problem with cleanliness. I can also honestly say that the photos on RS website are up to date and accurate. VIP also has a stellar reputation for giving you what they promised.

VIP

www.vip-vacationrentals.com/sanibel.aspx

Miami
Level Contributor
161 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sanibel Accomodations

A comment on cleanliness--especially for someone with allergies, it would be smart to focus on units with tile or hardwood flooring, NOT carpeting. Carpet gets nasty under the best of conditions, but in a vacation rental that sees so much foot traffic and where people probably aren't as careful about tracking in or dropping stuff on the floors...and in the subtropics, EEUWWW is probably the kindest description of what you end up with.

Although it usually isn't possible my goal is always to try for a rental with no carpets at all. Unfortunately many/most places still have some portion,usually bedrooms, done in carpet. But it's still worth investigating to get as much 'clear' surface area underfoot as possible.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
24 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sanibel Accomodations

We really like The Song of the Sea small intimate resort,free bikes and breakfast

Newtown...
Level Contributor
418 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sanibel Accomodations

We have rented units at Sanddollar through Royal Shell several times, but have also had luck finding rentals on VRBO.com. Most of the owners on VRBO use one of the local real estate management companies (Royal Shell, VIP, Premier Properties, etc.) to handle the exchange of funds and keys. They also are available to handle any problems that arise at the unit while you are staying on the island. Good luck.

10. Re: Sanibel Accomodations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2014, 07:18