We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mid-Trip Report 13 - 17 July

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
INDIANA
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Mid-Trip Report 13 - 17 July

I always forget just how special the island is until I'm here again. Flight down was interesting. We started to land at Ft Myers RSW and the pilot had us maybe a few hundred feet off the ground when he decided to abort. Ended up flying to Tampa and waiting on the runway in a plane with no air for about an hour. We finally made it back to Ft Myers though and it's been good since. Here's what I have so far:

1. Alamo rental out of the airport - 2 out of 10 - Rented a car for $400 for the week. Car was FILTHY! I'll be saying something to them when we return it.

2. Condo (Pointe Santo) - 7 out of 10 - Overall nice unit but we found some problems. Bathtub stopper didn't work...no taking baths until we bought a drain cover. Dishwasher leaks..can't use it. Clothes dryer sounds like a 747 taking off.

3. The Outlet Mall - 10 out of 10!!! We've stayed here for years and have always just drove by that place. What were we thinking???? Love it!

4. Dining - Whew...here's where I was seriously disappointed. Island Pizza - 1 out of 10 - YUCK!!! worst $90 pizza I've ever eaten!!! I would have rather had frozen pizza from Bailey's. Island Cow - 4 out of 10 - I thought for sure this place would be great...it's packed all the time! We ordered steak and it had no flavor. Someone needs to introduce the chef to spices and marinating.

Overall, we're having a good time. We definitely won't be eating on the island for the remainder of the trip. I don't mind paying for a good meal but refuse to spend that kind of money for a meal I didn't enjoy! We ate at Denny's off of Gladiolus yesterday and it was the best meal I've had since I've been here. LOL!

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
241 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mid-Trip Report 13 - 17 July

Sorry your meals haven't been good so far. We had many good meals on Sanibel last month and prices were reasonable. We had breakfast at Over Easy Cafe and Island Cow. Lunch at Rosie's and Cheeburger Cheeburger. Dinner at Doc Ford's, Blue Giraffe, Sanibel Grill and Cip's Place. Good frozen yogurt at Zebra's (next to Bailey's) and really good icecream at Rosie's.

I wouldn't write off the Sanibel restaurants just yet.

North Port, Florida
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mid-Trip Report 13 - 17 July

I'm happy to here Doc Ford's was good, that's somewhere we want to try when we go in a few weeks. Any places with entertainment?

Sorry for the first person, seems so much went wrong but I hope the beaches are as beautiful as everyone states! I'm very confused by $90 pizza, assume this was for a group!?

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
241 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mid-Trip Report 13 - 17 July

We actually stayed on Captiva, but there aren't a whole lot of dining options there so we ate many dinners on Sanibel and wer equite happy with all our meals. I can't comment on the nightlife, but I think there are a few places that have live music in the evenings. Sanibel and Captiva are both beautiful. Very natural, laid back and tropical. They each have their own feel, so I would suggest you visit Captiva while you're there. I've had nice times on Ft. Myers Beach as well. I love that whole area and can't wait to go back!

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mid-Trip Report 13 - 17 July

I have to admit, Island Pizza and Island Cow are not places I eat at. Ever. Once was more than enough.

Level Contributor
17 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mid-Trip Report 13 - 17 July

The Sandbar was the most wonderful we had on the island. Can't say anything bad at all about the place. We also loved Traders, but The Sandbar was our favorite!

NYC
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mid-Trip Report 13 - 17 July

Agree, Island Pizza was the worse pizza I ever had!

Doc Fords, Dots for lunch and dinner.. Lighthouse Cafe for breakfast is a guarantee !

Sanibel, FL
Level Contributor
926 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mid-Trip Report 13 - 17 July

Florida is not known for it's pizza. lol especially if you are a pizza snob from up NORTH - which I am. So I have no expectations of having the same pizza when I eat out here. Lots of other things to pick from. Our restaurants are very good on Sanibel. Everyone has different tastes - I hope that you will come back and try a few of the other places stated on this thread.

I love to eat out on Sanibel!

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Mid-Trip Report 13 - 17 July

Yes, yes, I am an infamous pizza snob. I also have a thing about the DULL KNIVES in condos. I know. There is just no helping it.

9. Re: Mid-Trip Report 13 - 17 July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2014, 07:19
Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island