We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opinions on Loggerhead Cay?

Pelham Manor, New...
Level Contributor
133 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Opinions on Loggerhead Cay?

Hi!

We are about to book a courtyard view condo on Loggerhead Cay. I'm hearing mixed reviews about it and I want to know your opinion. We are going from 8/9/13-8/16/13.

TIA

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Opinions on Loggerhead Cay?

Loggerhead is a very long 'U' shaped complex,the two legs at the beach end with little tails to the right and left. so courtyard units can be a longish walk to the beach. Like every condo complex, the units are individually owned, so the quality of your unit is up to the owner. One of the problems with LC is the fact that many units remain stuck in the 80's. Make sure your unit has been updated, especially baths and kitchens. They're the two areas that cause the most problems and get the toughest wear and tear in the salty humid air.

Another problem is the fact people don't realize just how deep the property is and the fact it can be a long walk to the beach from the bottom of the "U", especially if you're hauling pool toys and cranky kids.

The pool is quite large, but there is only the main pool for over 160 units, so in high season, it can be crowded. August is NOT high season, so it should be fine.

The grounds are fairly simple, not lushly planted like some, so it might seem a bit stark or bland in appearance, not tropical. And the do allow pets, so that can pose problems if the pet owners are careless.

It's near Sanibel Inn where there is a bar and a good restaurant. Not far from the Holiday Inn either, where their new restaurant is getting decent reviews and they too have a bar.

I've never stayed there as the property has never appealed to me, but I know a lot of folks who enjoy it and return every year. It might be battling perception problems due to the number of older units on the rental market in need of renovation. But if you don't mind the walk to the beach, and your unit is nice, then go for it.

I think Cyprina Beach and Villa Sanibel, both small complexs, give better value on their courtyard view units and are much closer to the beach, but the units are small with very small porches, so you can't really compare them with LC. Those are the 3 best priced condo complexes on the island.

Illinois
Level Contributor
135 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Opinions on Loggerhead Cay?

I stayed at Loggerhead Caye in April 2013. We were in the 2nd building from the street. 3rd floor in a "penthouse suite" - my opinions:

Pool - small - but it was empty when I was there.

Unit - nice not sure why its a penthouse - other than it had vaulted ceilings. A few issue the master bedroom had louvered doors as walls on 2 sides - and if you were with other people that would not provide enough privacy. However since it was only my husband and I it did not matter - except that he plays the TV very loud and that carried thru the louvered doors at night! (and we are only in our 40's but hubby is half deaf cause of his construction job).

Kitchen - had ants - no biggie. And the silverware was dirty - like food that did not come off in the dish washer.

Bathrooms - master ok - had a high tub - so we showered in the walk in shower in the 2nd bed/bath.

Living room - very nice - flat screen TV

I like the location very much. About a mile to the light house or a mile to Jerry's grocery store. I walked to the light house most mornings. One day I went to Jerry's and got coffee and walked back. The walk to the beach did not bother me.

View - just grass not a garden or even the pool - no ocean view from the building we were in.

We paid about $1000 for the last week in April - if it was any more I would say it was too much. However for what we paid and time of year I was good with the price.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,185 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Opinions on Loggerhead Cay?

We stayed at Loggerhead Cay during our first two trips to Sanibel (20+ years ago) and really enjoyed it. The pool is one of the largest on the island...possibly THE largest in a rental complex and they set aside two periods each day for "adults only" swimming. They had two lovely, well maintained tennis courts...a must for our family. However, I took a walk through the complex when on the island a few months ago and it did appear that some attention could be paid to exterior upkeep...nothing "major", just showing some signs of needing some routine exterior maintenance.

"Courtyard View" suggests to me that the unit you are considering sets well back from the water. Those closer to the Gulf generally state they are either "Gulf front" or "Gulf View", but would not necessarily be a deal breaker if you found a nice, renovated unit. Have you seen interior photographs so you could evaluate the current condition / amenities of the one you have rented? I am also wondering if you may have read the individual reviews for Loggerhead posted either in the T.A. rentals section or on the VRBO (vacation rentals by owners) websites? Those are generally quite candid in reporting the pros and cons of individual units and you can get a pretty good idea of what you are getting for the $$$. I am imagining that, at this time of year, there "should" be some pretty nice units available at an appealing price point.

So...guess I am saying that Loggerhead may be a decent option for a first visit and will provide a convenient home base for exploring other possibilities for future rentals if it doesn't meet all of your expectations.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,185 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Opinions on Loggerhead Cay?

Just in case you are not familiar with VRBO...here's the Loggerhead feedback link with reviews written by recent guests.

vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/…loggerhead-cay

Greenwood
Level Contributor
3 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Opinions on Loggerhead Cay?

We love Loggerhead Cay! Hubby and I have vacationed here every 2 or 3 yrs. thru our 48yr. marriage. We usually go in late Aug.or Sept..and we almost always have their large courtyard pool to ourselves in Sept! . All units are privately owned. We rent thru VRBO, as some owners are willing to work with you on flexible days and prices. A warning about Sept.on Sanibel....you will often find renovating, repairs,blacktopping, etc. going on before the busy Fall and Winter season, so be sure to ask before renting..We have only stayed in Bldgs. # 1 and 2, which are our favorites because of views and the position of the sun on the unit. Look at pictures and read the descriptions of each unit. Some come with beach chairs and umbrellas,even bicycles, which saves you money and ensures a wonderful time on Sanibel Island! There are grills also. Love it!!!

6. Re: Opinions on Loggerhead Cay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 July 2014, 05:17