We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Childless dinner date

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Maryland
Level Contributor
193 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Childless dinner date

Hi, we will be down in Sanibel in a month. We will have a dinner date without (!) our son and would like some recommendations on some nicer places for an evening out. We need to stay down on the Sanibel end of the island, due to time constraints.

Some places I've looked at online are:

Greenhouse Grill (ate there once, would go again, but it's fun to try new places.)

II Tesoro?

Traders or Timbers? Haven't been to either, but get these both confused every.single.time!

Any other suggestions are very, very welcome! Not interested in places that serve very small plates for what you pay for. 3 scallops and I'm still hungry!! You KWIM!! Interested in seafood (not fried i.e. Gramma Dots) or Italian seafood. Very good steaks are welcome. Have been to the Jacaranda, but didn't care for it.

Thanks so very, very, much!!

(ps love Gramma Dots but don't want to do primarily fried seafood on a childless night out.) :-)

Edited: 27 July 2013, 02:33
Brookfield...
Level Contributor
115 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Childless dinner date

Since you specifically mention staying on the Sanibel side of the island, I'll recommend Traders. Every trip, we try to have a childless date there for either lunch or dinner. It's hard to express exactly why -- it just fits with our personal style and we enjoy the selection and taste. After dinner we usually browse in the attached store, and sometimes we even bring home leftovers for the grandparents who were stuck babysitting...

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Childless dinner date

Mad Hatter - insanely expensive, but really good food. They close in the summer, so you'll need to call well in advance for reservations anyway. Tiny place that is technically an old beach house, but the vegetation blocks the view. At the northwest end in the Santiva area by Castaways cottages.

I also like Sunset Grill across the street from Mad Hatter. It's bistro style with an open kitchen and good wine by the glass.

Il Tesoro is a branch of a famed NYC restaurant and fine Italian.

Trader's serves good food, though I think the other three are as good or better. And I tend to recommend Old Captiva House for a special meal, but they're on Captiva.

Another place to consider would be Traditions at Island Inn on West Gulf. They accept non-guests and I'd suggest reservations. You have Gulf views there and at Old Captiva House. Some limited ones at Sunset Grill in the Santiva area, but Santiva might be a bit too far.

Thistle's at Casa Ybel has the atmosphere and the views, but I've found the food quality uneven. Great place for a drink in their historic bar area that feels like Humphrey Bogart should be hanging around.

Brookfield...
Level Contributor
115 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Childless dinner date

For what it's worth, I would also say Mad Hatter, but I assumed it was too far a drive. Mad Hatter is a more special night than Traders, by far.

I also can't compare Traders tot he other two listed, as I haven't been. We try to do a new (to us) place every trip, but we still haven't made it to either. Childless date nights only come so much :).

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Childless dinner date

Please explain what KWIM means! I have no clue!

I second Traders, always have amazing meals there! CIp's is not upscale, but we love it there too, it's one of our new favorites.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Childless dinner date

Never mind, I realized KWIM is Know What I Mean. Duh.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,180 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Childless dinner date

Well, I am glad you asked, bean3, because I did not know what it meant and was taxing my brain trying to figure it out!

Level Contributor
17 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Childless dinner date

The Sandbar was very good. It was fantastic!!! We decided to try it because if the high ratings it got here on Trip Advisor! And was glad we did!

Altoona...
Level Contributor
88 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Childless dinner date

With out a doubt the most romantic meal in Sanibel or Captiva Is The Old Captiva House at Tween Waters . OUTSTANDING !!

Eastchester, New...
Level Contributor
58 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Childless dinner date

I would also agree with Mad Hatter...but you may find that it falls into the "3 scallops and I'm still hungry" category. Terrific restaurant. We have eaten there in mid August a few times and they have always been open.

I know Sweet Melissa's is usually closed for a week or two in August, in fact that's why we have never eaten there...

We ate in Il Tesoro 3 or 4 years ago and thought it was great, but a little heavy for August in Sanibel. I'd definitely go back if we are there in cooler weather though.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Childless dinner date

@GrandmaMac, I had to ask my daughter!