We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2013 trip #3

ohio
Level Contributor
501 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
2013 trip #3

Arrived at noon yesterday on a direct flight from CVG purchased with award miles, this time with wife and 16 year old son. He picked out a new black Dodge Challenger from the National executive aisle ($119 last minute weekly rate), not exactly what you would want in the heat of the summer. Hit the Publix on Summerlin for groceries and headed for the condo. Went to Doc Ford’s for Yucatan Shrimp to see if the recipe online is the same. Wife said she liked her version better – thicker sauce, but it and the seafood paella were good. Evening was interrupted by cigar smoking eastern european weight lifters upstairs (no really) dropping an occasional dumbbell but they knocked it off at a decent hour.

Nice day at the beach today. A lot of people for a Monday – more so than during the winter season. Heat was countered with sangria and occasional dips in the gulf to throw the waboba. The mini live sand dollars are still all over the shallows so we hit the first sand bar. Cleaned up and decided we needed a 3rd bike but didn’t feel like a rental since we have a storage closet so we called thrift stores and eventually found a full size bike on CL in Cape Coral for $30. It seemed a bit sketchy but the transaction went smoothly and we jammed it into the back of the Challenger and beat it back through an impressive thunderstorm – final price $38 including Cape Coral and Sanibel tolls. Dinner tonight at Lazy Flamingo close to the causeway – fried grouper basket and a bottle of cold chardonnay. Sort of looked for shells after the thunderstorm and returned to find the condo building was attacked by dozens of small yellow frogs (Picture pending). Weightlifters are at it again. More updates later

Chicago
Level Contributor
202 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2013 trip #3

Cigar smoking Eastern European weight lifters, impressive thunderstorms and attacking yellow frogs. Sounds like the apocalypse! I can't wait to read how it ends! :)

Level Contributor
17 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2013 trip #3

Me either!

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
1,313 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2013 trip #3

Fred, glad you are back on Sanibel. If you do not mind telling, where (which complex) are you staying this time? Hope you have an enjoyable time. Please keep up the reports.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2013 trip #3

Hope the weightlifters aren't there for the entire week!

I await the frog photo with much anticipation. DId I ever tell you about the time it rained frogs? I thought it was the end of the world. I tried to dodge as many as I could while I was driving on San Cap Road. I am sad to say, many frogs were sacrificed that night for a trip to Bailey's.

ohio
Level Contributor
501 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2013 trip #3

Bean3

That must have been what happened. It was a particularly strong storm uesterday.i thought raining frogs was an urban legend but it appears to have happened before. Nice day at the beach with a strong sea breeze w/more tstorms this aftn.. Water is clear but tea colored perhaps from all the rain and mangroves. Will try shelling in the aftn moderately low tides,

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 2013 trip #3

OK Fred, how do you know they're Eastern Europeans? LOL At least they aren't a Def Leppard tribute band.

"Pour some sugar on meeeeeeeee.............."

ohio
Level Contributor
501 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2013 trip #3

So the weightlifters are gone. This week appears to be especially busy with summer vacation in Lee county coming to a close and lots of foreigners visiting. I believe its busier than spring break period. Seems like the vibe is more like a college spring break with a younger crowd - more drinking, leaving chairs out, using flashlights during turtle season, - would never have expected this in Sanibel. Maybe I'm just getting old having vacationed here for over 30 years. Winter and spring here is dominated by retiree snow birds and families with young children. I suspect this Is temporary situation and it should quiet down shortly.

CL bike is ok but missing back brakes so have to be careful not to front side - what should I have expected for $30? Its a easy fix.

Weather has been great for the summer season, sunny and hot with afternoon thunderstorms.

Hit the Island Cow last night - chilly willy (always good) and voodoo scallops (comes with a crab cake, smashed potatoes and vegetables - excellent)

Another nice hot day at the beach with a cooling breeze. For those worried about the water/beach conditions - its nice - just hot and crowded.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 2013 trip #3

Fred, what complex are you staying in?

ohio
Level Contributor
501 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2013 trip #3

Weather has remained nice - hot and sunny with strong sea breezes and scattered afternoon thunderstorms keeping it comfortable. Beach was less crowded yesterday. Island Pizza rigatoni was very good and a return to Doc Fords for banana leaf snapper and a grouper dish also good.

Not many shells this trip - it appears there are plenty of shells piled up at the water line but they are all of the common variety with occasional scallops but no tulips, conchs, whelks etc. More wave action yesterday. To be honest I haven't spent that much time looking and I would guess other locations like Blind Pass with the tidal currents would yield more collectable shells.

Lots of bird photos including some plover chicks (some posted)

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
1,313 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2013 trip #3

Fred, thanks for posting the pictures. You seem to have gotten them posted fairly quickly. For the few pictures I have posted, it has taken me over a week to get Trip Advisor to approve them. This is the main reason why I have not posted more pictures. In any case, you must enjoy the water birds, which are another fun attraction on Sanibel Island.

Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island