We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crowds April 19-26 2014 bringing the kids for the first time

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,281 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Crowds April 19-26 2014 bringing the kids for the first time

Hi- I have been visiting Sanibel for the past 4 years with just my husband and me in June. It's time to take the kids with us and are thinking of April vacation next year (April 19-26) It falls on Easter. I am wondering what to expect for crowds since I have only been there in June. Also, We are considering staying in Coquina Beach which was really nice and quiet.. but I see alot of people recommend Oceans Reach.. thoughts on that? Thank you so much!

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Crowds April 19-26 2014 bringing the kids for the first time

It is mobbed and if you want a place, book soon - flights AND condo. I know it's late April and many schools will have already had Spring break, but there will still be lots of school systems that close Easter week instead, even so close to the end of the school year.

Ocean's Reach is great if your kids are small. Older ones, you might want more room as the OR units are small, look at Coquina Beach (at the foot of Nerita St between Middle and East Gulf) and Villa Sanibel (on West Gulf between OR and Pointe Santo). Both are the same style, small and very well priced. The upstairs units have lofts that make for more space - some make the loft a third bedroom, but no elevators. Both are steps from the beach Downside, only a few units are direct beach view.

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Crowds April 19-26 2014 bringing the kids for the first time

By the way, I did catch this unit on the internet - and upstairs unit doe as 3 bedroom, partial Gulf view for $1500 that week.

sanibelislandvacations.com/condo_villa_sanib…

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,281 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crowds April 19-26 2014 bringing the kids for the first time

Tourmaline- Thanks so much for the info. We did stay at Coquina Beach (just the two of us last year) and really liked it alot. No water view but pool view but it was a really nice place. I figured we would be in for a busy time ... alot different from my early June trips.. I'm hoping that April weather will be better than June.. this past June we got stuck in tropical storm Andrea and RAIN for 5 days straight.. then in June 2012 got stuck in Tropical storm Debbie in Disney and rain for 4 days straight!!! :-)

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Crowds April 19-26 2014 bringing the kids for the first time

Villa Sanibel was built to essentially the same floor plan, but is walking distance to Casa Ybel and Pointe Santo.

Depending on what you want and your price range, you'll have some good choices.

You've had some really lousy weather!

Edited: 20 August 2013, 23:00
Mentioned in this post
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
1,595 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crowds April 19-26 2014 bringing the kids for the first time

Crowded is a relative term. Sanibel seems deserted compared to Ft. Lauderdale, Myrtle Beach, etc... during Easter break. Eat dinner early or late, go to the beach early, AND avoid left turns!! Sanibel/Captiva's low density makes reservations few and expensive but the beach's are way less crowded than high rise studded resort destinations.

And as Captiva condo owner I maybe prejudiced, but Captiva is less crowded than Sanibel..

Edited: 20 August 2013, 23:46
Mentioned in this post
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Fort Lauderdale
Fort Lauderdale
Broward County, FL
Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Captiva Island
Captiva Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Crowds April 19-26 2014 bringing the kids for the first time

Except for parts of the village area, I'd agree, roijamg, especially after Debbie kind of narrowed the beach there. But sand comes and goes. The Golden Mile is especially uncrowded, if you can afford it.

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
1,023 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crowds April 19-26 2014 bringing the kids for the first time

Generally the second half of April is not too bad, but Easter being late this year changes things (although the week prior to Easter will be busier than the week after). Weather is usually pleasant. The beach...even the busiest stretches on the busiest days...is never crowded by typical resort town standards, and there are a number of smaller low-density condo complexes that tend to attract fewer large family groups and are always quiet, even when there is full occupancy.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,281 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Crowds April 19-26 2014 bringing the kids for the first time

Thanks everyone.. I take it Periwinkle will be bumper to bumper??

Shelbyville, KY
Level Contributor
594 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Crowds April 19-26 2014 bringing the kids for the first time

We've gone after April 15 the past few years, and crowds have never been a problem. We used to go in March and it was terrible! That first weekend being Easter might be busy, but I still think once you get past March and the first week of April when all the schools have spring break you should be OK. Weather at that time of year is beautiful. We stay off Periwinkle as much as possible, driving the roads like Middle Gulf, etc. and then turning onto Periwinkle from Casa Ybel or Donax to get to whatever restaurant we want.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,281 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Crowds April 19-26 2014 bringing the kids for the first time

The only reason I worry as it's April vacation for my kids!

Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island