We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

September or October?

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
407 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
September or October?

Planning a two-week visit and I'm very flexible on dates. Any events going on? Is the weather better one time or the other? I usually stay in St. Pete Beach area. How different will Sanibel Island be? Thanks in advance.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
1,377 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: September or October?

October is my favorite month, heat subsides, still in the 80's, gulf waters are warm. Less of the every afternoon rains that you get all summer. Many restaurants close during September doldrums, but reopen in October.

Compared to St. Pete's Beach? Very different : less crowded, less touristy, more more laid back. No highrise resorts, miles of bike trails, farther south below the magical subtropical line that crosses Florida. 3/4 of the Island in nature preserve, ++++ shells on beaches, etc....

ottawa
Level Contributor
736 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: September or October?

october .. for sure.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: September or October?

October - and four reasons more

1. The bird migrations get going and you have amazing varieties to see.

2. Ding Darling is closed thru Sept while they do much needed work on Wildlife Drive but they will reopen to the public in Oct.

3 OK, now this is important - STONE CRAB SEASON STARTS OCT 15!!!!!!!!

4. The humidity, which is bad in Sept, usually breaks around early to mid-Oct.

Yes, I am an addict.

Edited: 27 August 2013, 05:06
Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
904 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: September or October?

Late october is great. I like early november even better (the farmers market starts the first sunday of november)

Lake Mary, Florida
Level Contributor
260 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: September or October?

I grew up in St. Pete and have stayed on the beach many a time after we moved to Central Florida. The beaches are totally different from Sanibel. As written, Sanibel is more laid back; lots of bike trails, less # of visitors. St. Pete faces west and Sanibel faces south - so when we stayed in Sanibel this past summer, I thought even the sand and water was different. You will not find the # of shells in St. Pete that you would in Sanibel. As you've stayed in St. Pete Beach - I urge you to try Sanibel this time. We already booked for next summer. We loved it!

6. Re: September or October?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2014, 05:18