We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any cottages within walking distance to restaurants?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,331 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Any cottages within walking distance to restaurants?

Hubby and I will be staying 2 nights on Sanibel Island at Thanksgiving. We like to be both near the water and close enough to restaurants to be able to walk to them. I've looked at the website that was posted on the street map thread, and it's very helpful. But I can't really figure out how close any cottages are to the main shopping/eating area of the island. We plan on renting bikes so it may not be an issue if we can just ride the bikes to wherever we want to go.

Also, will anything even be open on Thanksgiving, or does the island pretty much close up that day?

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any cottages within walking distance to restaurants?

The main street on Sanibel is Periwinkle Way. This is where the majority of the restaurants and shops are located, but not all.

Sanibel is very bike friendly and you will be able to bike everywhere on the Island. Since you are only there for 2 nights, I would definitely look at Gulf front locations and not be too concerned about proximity to restaurants. Restaurants will be open on Thanksgiving, many with special Thanksgiving menus, as it gets closer to the date, we will have access to a list we publish here on the forum. I haven't seen one yet for this year.

Take a look at Island Inn, Sanibel Inn, West Wind Inn, Beachview, Waterside and Song of the Sea to start.

Edited: 27 August 2013, 19:41
The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Any cottages within walking distance to restaurants?

Believe it or not, you might be running late for Thanksgiving weekend AND many places have a 4 day minimum that weekend. The ones Bean named would be my first choice with Island Inn and Beachview topping the list, but check on the min stay for that weekend.

One other choice is Castaways Cottages. It's in a small area of Sanibel on the nothwest tip where a short bridge connects it to Captiva. Great shelling, fishing, kayaking spot. There are 3 restaurants, actually 2 restaurants and one uber casual bar with food that is done 'self serve'. Locals love the place. One of the others is a nice bistro place (I've only had dinner there, but they serve breakfast and lunch) and finally the smallest and most expensive restaurant on Sanibel, the Mad Hatter - gourmet food, but small portions. They do seatings for holidays and being so mall, it's crowded. Bring the Platinum card. There is also a small convenience store if you want some beer and chips to nosh.

There are off beach cottages that would fit you requirements, but you would be walking to beach access - near, but not on the beach. Nice places and fairly priced, but again, many have min stays that weekend. Inn and cottage owners don't want a cottage taken for 2 nites on a prime weekend when they can easily rent it for 3-4.

Good luck!

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
1,479 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any cottages within walking distance to restaurants?

Captiva Island Inn in Captiva has cottages available Thanksgiving week. The cottages are smack dab in the middle of Captiva Village and a short walk to the beach. Seven restaurants would be just outside your front porch, no need for bike. You would have to like a busy resort environment. Captiva closes down at 10 PM so noise in the evening is not that bad, BUT the delivery trucks arrive at 8 AM so don't plan on sleeping in late.

Advantage--They are available.

captivaislandinn.com/roomdetail.cfm?ID=7

Edited: 27 August 2013, 23:07
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,331 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any cottages within walking distance to restaurants?

Thanks for the info. We decided to go with the Island Inn. A 3 night stay wasn't a problem.

But now I'm confused about Thanksgiving. Will things be busy that day or will only a few places be open?

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Any cottages within walking distance to restaurants?

Many places will be open, in fact most, but since so many visitors eat out, many restaurants serve buffet style with seatings at 1.5 to 2 hour intervals. Other places are small - including Traditions - and highly sought after for their location (water views) and MUST be reserved well in advance. The casual places can have long lines and some do 'call ahead' seating only, meaning on the day you call and ask to be seated at 4PM, show up a bit early, indicate you called ahead, and jump the line of walk ups. This is not a true reservation, just like showing up early, but you wait elsewhere. Others it's just first come, first serve.

Since you will be limited in choices, and as a guest of Island Inn you can get reservations ahead of others, if that's your dinner choice, call a month or more in advance as 'regulars' fill the place.

It's a walk, but The Sandbar restaurant, a fairly new place with very good feedback, is just up West Gulf from Island Inn. That would be another option for dinner. The Normandie at West Wind Inn will also be open and they are about the same distance as the Sandbar in the opposite direction.

Thanksgiving weekend is busy enough that I'd make reservations in advance for dinner every night at any place along West Gulf as all are 'better' restaurants and none are large.

If you have bicycles, then head to Periwinkle Rd and try Trader's Cafe. But remember, the island is BLACK after dark and bikes usually do not have the headlights required to ride them after dark.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,331 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any cottages within walking distance to restaurants?

Tourmaline, thanks for all the good info. I'll definitely plan ahead to figure out where we want to eat and make reservations. Also, sounds like it might be a good idea to bring our headlamps if we want to ride after dark.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any cottages within walking distance to restaurants?

Will you have a car? If so, you may want drive up to The Old Captiva House on Captiva Island. They have an amazing Thanksgiving spread.

http://tween-waters.com/dining.php#2

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,331 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any cottages within walking distance to restaurants?

Bean, that looks like a good option. We will have a car but we'd prefer to ride bikes as much as possible. Will we be able to ride bikes from Sanibel Island to Captiava Island? I do want to visit Captiva Island however we have to get there.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,331 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any cottages within walking distance to restaurants?

Another question - is stone crab offered at many of the restaurants? It's probably our favorite shellfish, even slightly edging out lobster. Unfortunately, in Las Vegas the only place we can get it is Joe's Prime Steak, Seafood and Stone Crab. SUPER expensive! I'm hoping we can enjoy it while we're on Sanibel Island, fresher and less expensive hopefully.

Highlands Ranch...
Level Contributor
162 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Any cottages within walking distance to restaurants?

I wouldn't ride bikes from Sanibel to Captiva. While Sanibel has great dedicated bike paths , Cap doesn't . Plan on a long ride if you do.

Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island
Recent Conversations