We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

restaurant on the water in Sanibel?

NJ
Level Contributor
56 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
restaurant on the water in Sanibel?

We are staying in Naples and would love to drive to Sanibel for a day of shelling. Can anyone recommend a fun restaurant on the water or that has water views for lunch?

Do you know how long it would take to get to Sanibel from Naples? Is there a good route I should know about that would be scenic?

Thanks so much!

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: restaurant on the water in Sanibel?

Grandma Dot's at the Sanibel Marina on N Yachtman's [no a/c] or take a ride up to Captiva for the Mucky Duck on the beach on the end of Andy Rosse Lane. Casa Ybel has informal Coconuts poolside bar and grill - plus you can peek at the resort on West Gulf Drive - or the more formal Thistle Lodge on Sanibel's West Gulf Drive. Sue or some others may have more suggestions.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: restaurant on the water in Sanibel?

By the way, there is no 'scenic' route - but even though it's longer, I'd say take I-75 up and then come to Sanibel from there. Rt 41 is worse than Rt 1 or 202 in NJ.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
593 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: restaurant on the water in Sanibel?

so tour,

grandma dots doesn't have a/c at all? Is it all outside or something?

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: restaurant on the water in Sanibel?

It's screened, like a big screened porch with a beautiful bar and some tables. Pretty small place and very casual. I like their grilled grouper and don't care for the crab ball appy. The deep dish Key Lime pie is not the classic version, but is good and I will buy a whole one and take it back to the house. You may find that cheaper than buying a number of deserts. I guess I don't notice so much because I'm used to outdoor dining on St John, so for me it's no big deal.

Lake St. Louis...
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: restaurant on the water in Sanibel?

Don't forget Green Flash which looks out over the Bay down on Captiva and while your there you can stop at Jensens Marina and check out the manatee which are usually present.

My friend came and said it was approx 45 minutes to get from Naples to the island.....it really depends on time of day, construction delays for how long.

My friend followed the water....sorry don't know directions.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: restaurant on the water in Sanibel?

Head slap! Green Flash - of course!

I took a look at the map and saw one possibility for a 'scenic' route - it runs all along Estero Island and through an area of Vanderbuilt Beach I don't know, but here it is

Take Rt 41 north to Vanderbuilt Beach Rd and turn west - it will turn north and become Gulfshore Drive

At 111th turn right and go east till you see Vanderbuilt Drive and turn North again. This road also changes names but will run into Bonita Beach Rd where you'll turn west to reach the barrier islands. (You've been running parallel to 41 but in a nicer area)

This road changes names but will take you along the barrier islands across Little Hickory and onto Estero Blvd thru Lover's Key State Park and up to Estero Island and Ft Myers Beach.

To get to Sanibel, turn onto San Calos Blvd and follow the signs to Sanibel - which is a left turn onto Summerlin Rd.

I know only the Estero Island/Lover's Key stretch of this drive and would NOT recommend in season as FMB is wall to wall traffic, but off season and mid-week you should not have delays. Weekends you might, but nothing like in season.

Since you'll pass Lover's Key State Park, which I happen to really like, stop and visit if you have the time. GREAT beaches.

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7,715 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: restaurant on the water in Sanibel?

Keep in mind that the Green Flash is on Captiva, not Sanibel, so the drive will be a bit longer than Sanibel, but it's a very nice drive. Also, it's on the bay side, not the gulf side, if that's important to you. The Green Flash seemed to have plenty of parking, and has both indoor and outdoor dining -- but both had the bay views. Also, when I was there, there were a couple of wacky local birds -- I think a heron and a snowy egret -- acting up on the outside deck, providing amusement and/or annoyance, depending on whether your meal was one the egret was trying to sample.

8. Re: restaurant on the water in Sanibel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2009, 20:20
Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island