We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last Minute, Long Weekend Trip to Sanibel Island

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Last Minute, Long Weekend Trip to Sanibel Island

Recently life has been rather hectic for the Murex family with lots of “stuff” happening related to job, elderly parents, adult children and new grandchildren. Unfortunately, that may sound familiar to many of you. In addition, MurexAlice and I have recently purchased a lot on Sanibel Island and are in the process of making plans to build a home. For the 36 years of our marriage, I have stated many times that I did not think that our marriage could survive the building of a home. That disclaimer notwithstanding, MurexAlice and I have now decided to temp fate and proceed down that treacherous path.

After work this past Thursday we flew down to Tampa and drove a rental car to Sanibel Island. Since guests were using our condo, we stayed four nights at the Holiday Inn, a first for us. The room was clean and served our purposes, since we actually spent very little time there. Most of our time we spent interviewing architects, home designers and builders. That was an eye opening experience! We also went to a home show in downtown Fort Myers and visited several tile and kitchen appliance stores. MurexAlice seemed to enjoy the experience much more than I did. Fortunately, I was able to walk the beach in front of the Holiday Inn for a total of about 60 minutes. I found a few Wentletraps, a nice orange Ribbed Cantharus, shellmuseum.org/shells/shelldetails.cfm?id=79 and one pair of Channeled Duck Clams, shellmuseum.org/shells/shelldetails.cfm… , but that was it. Certainly not my most productive shell-collecting trip!

We had nice dinners at Doc Ford’s, which is always excellent. Perhaps the most enjoyable part of our brief, hectic trip was finally meeting in person some trip advisor friends. Good conversation while watching the Gulf of Mexico, sipping red wine and eating cheese and crackers. Well, it just does not get much better than that. We ended up having a nice dinner together at the Sand Bar, a new restaurant on West Gulf Drive, where the Stone Crab restaurant use to be.

This last minute, long weekend trip to Sanibel was much different than our usual, fairly relaxed, shell-collecting trip, but it was productive and pleasant. For anyone considering the purchase of property (condo/home/lot) on Sanibel Island, one word of caution may be helpful. Flood insurance is undergoing significant changes, due to recent federal legislation. Premiums for flood insurance will most probably increase significantly during the next several years. These changes will affect property values and may affect rental prices. If you are interested, a recent YouTube video is informative, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDQ1jMS1OSM

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,983 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last Minute, Long Weekend Trip to Sanibel Island

Sorry about your family stuff - never easy. I've had quite a bit myself recently.

Congrats on your new home.... that is wonderful!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last Minute, Long Weekend Trip to Sanibel Island

Wow - what an exciting adventure for you both - I am jealous :)

It might be challenging now but think of the big picture - all worth it in the end

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last Minute, Long Weekend Trip to Sanibel Island

Our marriage has survived TWO home buildings, you'll make it! Especially because the end result is a HOME on SANIBEL! I hope when you meet with the architect, you have them design a room for your shell collection!

So happy for you and your wife!

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Last Minute, Long Weekend Trip to Sanibel Island

I'm jealous of everything except the flood insurance. We got hit in many areas along the Jersey coast right as rebuilding from Super Storm Sandy was happening only to have homeowners learns they would no longer be able to afford the insurance. In many cases these were not homes on barrier islands, but ones near the extensive river basins all along the coast. It's a mess for many people who have, literally, lost the value of their homes thanks to the new flood zones.

Amazing the things that now factor into home buying decisions along any body of water. That was a very educational; video for any perspective buyer and a clear signal rental prices my well sky rocket. I'm sure the businesses are dealing with all this well.

Best of luck with your home building. May it bring you a great deal of contentment when you're done with the frustrating parts.

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last Minute, Long Weekend Trip to Sanibel Island

Thanks for the responses from some of my favorite people on this forum. Sunny, thanks for your concern. Hope things also get better for you. Let's do some shelling together sometime during the next year or two. MurexAlice and I should be down on Sanibel more as we progress thru our home building experience. JaneO, we are excited too, but have found the entire process to be rather daunting. In addition, I am not sure that we can afford to build the home that we want. We'll see what happens. Bean, thanks for the encouragement. I have promised Alice a gourmet kitchen, but have not budgeted anything for marriage counseling. Of note, there is no natural gas on Sanibel Island. Cooking with gas means using liquid propane. BTW, there will be "roomS" for our shell collection. Hopefully, there will also be space for beds for children/guests. ;~) Tour, I actually agree with people paying more of the true "cost" for flood insurance, rather than expecting the government to do it. However, the transition from subsidized to non-subsidized flood insurance will be associated with a lot of pain. As you say, some home values will be significantly reduced. Many fixed income people will be forced to sell the home that they have lived in for decades. The annual cost of condo ownership on Sanibel Island will increase. How that affects condo values and the cost of condo renting is uncertain. Although this uncertainty adds an additional layer of complexity to our decisions, MurexAlice and I cannot think of any place else where we would rather retire. Maybe yall can visit us when we finish our "dream home". We would enjoy that.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Last Minute, Long Weekend Trip to Sanibel Island

Let me be the first to accept that invite!

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Last Minute, Long Weekend Trip to Sanibel Island

Careful Ken, she might never leave. heheheheheheheheheheheheheh

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Last Minute, Long Weekend Trip to Sanibel Island

True that!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Last Minute, Long Weekend Trip to Sanibel Island

Hmmm how many roomS? better add a couple more ;)

The flood insurance is daunting for sure - I suppose joking about installing "floaties" around the perimeter and to heck with the insurance would not help - but what the heck - picture that and have a giggle :)

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Last Minute, Long Weekend Trip to Sanibel Island

Ken's taking in boarders, right?

I do like the 'floaties' idea, Jane. That has promise. Then again, it could all go like Tiger Woods' Jupiter Island dining room, sinking into the ground. Maybe he should try 'floaties' under the floor.