We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can anyone recommend good place to stay if travelling alone

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Can anyone recommend good place to stay if travelling alone

Looking for recommendations of where to stay - safety is a concern as I will be alone, with no car

Thanks

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Can anyone recommend good place to stay if travelling alone

The 'no car' is a bigger problem than alone is. The island is very safe.

Since you will be carless, try Sanibel Inn, Song of the Sea (which is close to Sanibel Inn and you can easily use their bar and restaurant), or Island Inn - though they are doing renovations at this time and are less centrally located, they are near a few other places with restaurants.

Two other more expensive options would be Sundial or Casa Ybel. Both have bars and restaurants. Sanibel Taxi is available, but how prompt they are, I don't know. You can easily get around by bike and walking is also easy, but with no street lights, it's BLACK at night and most bikes are not equipped for that. Bring a flashlight!

Another option is Castaways Cottages, but check the dates. They will be doing beach restoration work in the area

http://tinyurl.com/m8joxde

You have 3 restaurants right there, a small convenience store, you can have your unit supplied by one of the on island supermarkets (delivery fee) and you can bike up to Captiva Village easily. There are kayak and boat rentals on site and if they don't have bikes, Billy's and Finnmore's deliver. Considered a prime location, so prices are high. Be sure to get a remodeled unit.

Just keep in mind, getting around at night is tough due to the lack of street lights, so you'll want a restaurant handy.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,185 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can anyone recommend good place to stay if travelling alone

You may also want to take a look at the West Wind Inn website. They have some small studio type accommodations as well as an on site restaurant and are located on West Gulf Drive...an area that some people prefer because of good view of wonderful sunsets. If you do look into this option, see if a beachfront unit might be available. Just a "keep it simple" suggestion if this is your first visit and you pretty much plan to settle into one spot and stay there.

United States
Level Contributor
6,241 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can anyone recommend good place to stay if travelling alone

I'm sure you have your reasons for not having a car, but if it is at all possible, please rent one. You will want to do some driving on the island and having a car is much more efficient than waiting on a cab, or only being able to bike and walk during the day. If you are able to drive, you can look for a good deal before committing, and the cost will not end up being much more than a round trip taxi to the airport. Renting and returning a car at the Ft. Myers airport, is one of the most convenient places I've ever found to rent a car. Good luck on planning your trip!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can anyone recommend good place to stay if travelling alone

I do thanks for info.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can anyone recommend good place to stay if travelling alone

Thanks I would if I could - but I don't drive....so I am limited in options. I would only go out a couple of times at night for dinner so a few taxis will be fine

ottawa
Level Contributor
704 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Can anyone recommend good place to stay if travelling alone

Sanibel Taxi is good .. ask for Joey (my tennis pal) . I too have gone carless a few times with no real problems.

I also second that notion of "song of the sea" .. or some condo in that east end area. This is cause you can walk to some nightlife if you were so inclined. Biking at night is near impossible due to the pitch dark of the island (no street lights).

Missouri
Level Contributor
753 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Can anyone recommend good place to stay if travelling alone

Just a thought on riding a bike at night on Sanibel. You can pick up a decent bike light set for $15 - $25 and stick it on your bike. I've used them before - they're easy to install and I think they would be adequate for riding on Sanibel. I got mine at Wal-Mart but you can find them all over the internet.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,221 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can anyone recommend good place to stay if travelling alone

As mentioned below, West Wind Inn or Beach View Cottages next door, are both good options. WWI has a restaurant there and both are walking distance to the Island Inn which also has a restaurant. You are also an easy bike ride to Doc Ford's (a Sanibel favorite good for lunch & dinner) on a very pretty bike path. Bike places on the Island (such as Billy's) will deliver bikes to you and pick them up when you are done. Make sure to get one with a basket so you can get some limited groceries. If staying at WWI, try to get one of their gulf-front rooms with a kitchenette.

You are also centrally located at WWI so that you could bike up to Bowman's Beach, Ding Darling, or Captiva going one direction, or down to all the restaurants and stores along Perriwinkle and to the Lighthouse at the end of the island, going the other direction.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
1,328 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can anyone recommend good place to stay if travelling alone

Another suggestion, Island Inn on Captiva.

http://captivaislandinn.com/rooms.cfm

Absolutely do not need a car; in Captiva Village, 8 restaurants within 2 blocks, beach down street. Several cute singe units available.

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,984 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can anyone recommend good place to stay if travelling alone

I don't know that cycling after dark is legal. I think Toots or Slack have stated it is not, in the past.

At any rate, DD taxi is supposed to be good as well.

Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island