We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone stated at any of The Sanibel Collection hotels?

md
5 posts
Save Topic
Anyone stated at any of The Sanibel Collection hotels?

* Sanibel Inn

* Sanibel's Seaside Inn

* Sunset Beach

* Song of the Sea

* Sundial Resort

http://www.sanibelcollection.com/

It appears that The Sanibel Collection is a group of about 5 hotels right on Sanibel.

Anyone know the difference, they all look about the same?

I'm looking at all of them, but the Seaside Inn and Song of the Sea look well priced and just as nice.

Anyone able to offer some advice between these places?

I definately want to be on the beach, or at least beach-front, and ideally with an ocean view.

Thank you!!!

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel Inn
Sanibel Inn
1,389 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
Sanibel
Sanibel
Sanibel Island, FL
Seaside Inn
Seaside Inn
735 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
md
5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone stated at any of The Sanibel Collection hotels?

I forgot, is there a need to rent a car while on the island, or should we just take a shuttle to and from the airport?

Are the bulk of the restaraunts, shopping and amenities within walking distance, is there a little bus or something, or is it best to suck it up and rent a car to make the most of it.

Thank you again!

New York
Level Contributor
340 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone stated at any of The Sanibel Collection hotels?

deadhooked, I'd recommend renting a car at the Ft. Myers airport. It's nice to have a car on Sanibel...

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel
Sanibel
Sanibel Island, FL
The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone stated at any of The Sanibel Collection hotels?

I stayed a the Sundial, but that was some time ago. It carries a premium as it is the most resort like and it's also the largest complex on the island. The 2bed/2 bath+den are a good size [about 1500 sq ft] and the corner units have wrap around balconies. To be almost ON the beach, you'd need to stay in one of the older units in building - A, E, or K. They are built about 20 feet from the beach and zoning no longer allows that so the newer units have a deep setback. I say avoid building L as it backs onto the clubhouse/restaurant area with the noise an smells.

The Master bedroom is a decent size and the second bedroom a bit small for the 2 twins that are usually there. Some owners have turned the den into a third bedroom. The one bedrooms are ONLY in the older buildings. All units are privately owned and thus the decor varies widely. The Sundial is very attractive to families with young kids as it has a kids program and more things for them than most places

All of these properties were sold to Blackstone in the spring of this year. Hard to say what changes will occur. Check on the status of their restaurants were closed for changes - mostly to the menus.

Song of the Sea has smallish rooms and is more of a B&B type place. Sanibel Inn is the next most complete after the Sundial and is a pretty busy place. Sunset Beach was Best Western Sunset Beach till a few weeks ago. I don't think I'd stay there. West Wind Inn would be the better choice if that's the style property you're looking for - but both have their rooms mostly facing the interior courtyard, not the Gulf. Seaside Inn would be my choice of the lot, but it has no restaurant and is on the East End. If I recall you wanted great water and right now the best water is well up the west end and on Captiva. So do take that into consideration.

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel Inn
Sanibel Inn
1,389 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
West Wind Inn
West Wind Inn
2,125 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
Seaside Inn
Seaside Inn
735 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone stated at any of The Sanibel Collection hotels?

Oh yes - rent a car. You'll be really sorry if you don't.

Florida
Level Contributor
101 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone stated at any of The Sanibel Collection hotels?

We stayed at The Sanibel Inn and it was great!! They have beachfront and poolviewrooms, a restaurant on the grounds and nice gardens throughout....Free use of beach chairs, renovated large rooms. I would suggest trying to get a second floor room, the noise travels from above into the first floor rooms. Great screened in porches too.

Yes, you need a car and once you have one, check out Captiva Island, too :)

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel Inn
Sanibel Inn
1,389 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
Captiva Island
Captiva Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
6. Re: Anyone stated at any of The Sanibel Collection hotels?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 09:19
Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island