We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Sanibel Island - perfect place to stay(for us)

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City
5 posts
Save Topic
First time to Sanibel Island - perfect place to stay(for us)

We are staying on Sanibel Island the week of Thanksgiving(9 nights total) I have never been there before and the amount of condo choices available is overwhelming so I would appreciate any suggestions. We are looking to stay under $1500.00. We both prefer a small quieter place. We are traveling without kids & wouldnt mind a less family oriented place for this trip. I would prefer an ocean view. He prefers to be further from the Bay water, I think that means the opposite way of the lighthouse??? I like loggerhead cay but I fear it might be too big & possibly too noisy. We ve looked at Blind Pass - no ocean view but it seems smaller and quiter. Pointe Santo looks great & is where I would probably choose to stay if we had more $. My preferences in order quiet & ocean view & under $1500.00. Thank you so much for any suggestions.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,182 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Sanibel Island - perfect place to stay(for us)

Well, you are likely going to receive lots of suggestions. Everyone on this board really tries to be helpful. For starters...and just going by what you say you are looking for...(a smaller, quieter place), you might take a look at Blue Dolphin Cottages. Not everyone's "cup of tea", but clearly a favorite with those who are truly looking for a "get away from it all" beach vacation.

You can read visitor reviews / comments here:

http://www.bluedolphincottages.com/

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,182 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Sanibel Island - perfect place to stay(for us)

Actually, this site and the reviews may be more helpful.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g34616-d629924-…

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Sanibel Island - perfect place to stay(for us)

Given the fact you wish to stay 9 nights during a prime week, $1500 might be a challenge. I'd look at the Blue Dolphin that GrandmaMac suggested. They are the most cost effective.

The other places have only a few units with views, but are generally a good buy, but again, with the 2 extra nights, might exceed the budget - Villa Sanibel condos and Coquina Beach condos.

The other places to check would be - Sanibel Siesta; Sanibel Moorings - which offers 1 bedroom units; Sandalfoot - they also have 1 bedroom units are worth a look as well.

New York City
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Sanibel Island - perfect place to stay(for us)

Thank you for the quick replies. I appreciate the suggestions and welcome any others.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,188 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to Sanibel Island - perfect place to stay(for us)

Make sure to look at VRBO.com for deals and specials. If you are only finding weekly rentals, another option might be to stay in hotel either on Sanibel or in Fort Myers for 2 of the 9 nights. Decent hotels on Sanibel include Island Inn, West Wind Inn, and Beach View Cottages. There is also a Holiday Inn on the island.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to Sanibel Island - perfect place to stay(for us)

Check out Tarpon Beach, on West Gulf, smaller complex.

Really nice Gulf front property, Royal Shell has a few of them that are open T-Day week. They might be willing to rent to you the 9 days, things are still a little slow on the Islands. They just might be willing to get you in the extra 2 nights if they aren't booked.

New York City
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First time to Sanibel Island - perfect place to stay(for us)

Thank you for your responses. I found quite a few places that fit our budget & possibly narrowed it down to Logger head Cay, Tarpon Beach or Blind Pass. Logger head Cay has a nice view but is it too large/noisy? Blind Pass - no view but look like a quiet place and maybe the quitter part of the island? Tarpon Beach small place which I like but not sure about the view from the unit. Any opinions on these 3? Thank you again for your replies.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time to Sanibel Island - perfect place to stay(for us)

Logger Head Cay is a very large complex on East Gulf Drive. I think there is around 200 condos there. Only a few of the condos are gulf front. It's next to another pretty big complex, Tortuga Beach Club.

Blind Pass is on Bowmans Beach Road, one of the more economical choices of condos. 107 Condos and townhomes there. It's a long walk to the beach, especially if you are carrying beach stuff with you. Definitely a quiet part of the Island but then again, Sanibel is pretty quiet.

Tarpon Beach is on West Gulf, only 30 units and all of them are either Gulf view or Gulf front. Tarpon sits next to Pointe Santo on one side and The Tarpon Beach Public access on the other.

Are you interested in a private cottage?

Can you also supply your exact dates, it's easier to make suggestions if we know dates. Are the 2 extra days before or after T day week?

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
867 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time to Sanibel Island - perfect place to stay(for us)

I can answer any questions you may have about tarpon beach as we own a condo there (not available to rent). It is indeed a quiet and low keyed complex, which is why we chose to purchase there.

Edited: 27 October 2013, 02:42
New York City
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: First time to Sanibel Island - perfect place to stay(for us)

We are staying 11/24/2013 - 12/3/2013. I also found what looks like a nice place at Sanibel Arms West. Any opinions? Sure, I think we would be open to staying in a cottage.