We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cowry at Lighthouse Point?

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Delaware
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Topic
Cowry at Lighthouse Point?

Pam and Murex Ken,

Is it possible that I found a small cowry at Lighthouse Beach? It is less than an inch long, nothing like the deer cowry Pam found in the Keys. I'll try to upload pictures. It looks similar to cowries my Dad brought back from the South Pacific seventy years ago, but I never heard of such a thing on Sanibel.

June

Delaware
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cowry at Lighthouse Point?

OK have to be dumb here...... How do I post pictures?

Thanks!

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
1,277 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cowry at Lighthouse Point?

Post it here, https://www.facebook.com/iLoveShelling… These folks will surely ID the shell for you.

Then, you can copy/paste a link to the picture on trip advisor.

Delaware
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cowry at Lighthouse Point?

Thanks, I've posted three pictures of the shell on Pam's FaceBook page.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cowry at Lighthouse Point?

I think your find might have come from a broken necklace or bracelet, or something similar.

Delaware
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cowry at Lighthouse Point?

Suspect I have found the origin of my shell--it does indeed seem to be a money cowry, and is for sale at She Sells Sea Shells for 25 cents each! Oh well, to me it was a lovely "hello" from my Dad, who has been gone for almost 20 years. Sanibel was my parents' favorite place, and after finding a limpet at Algiers (Mom's favorite shell) this just feels right. More like priceless than 25 cents!

Thanks to all!

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cowry at Lighthouse Point?

What a sweet thing, to find the limpet and the cowry. Who cares where the cowry was from, it was meant for you!

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
1,288 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cowry at Lighthouse Point?

DownislandDreamer, I was driving home most of yesterday. ;~( Today was chuch, unpacking, etc. Just saw your post. Since I do not "Do" Facebook, I cannot look at your picture. Well, MurexAlice just showed it to me. That is the Cypraea (Monetaria) moneta (aka Money Cowry), http://www.gastropods.com/6/Shell_76.shtml Unfortunately, people, unintentionally or intentionally, may scatter on the beach shells that do not naturally occur there. This is not common, but it does happen. That is a rare find on a Sanibel Island beach, but not one that mother nature gave you. Good eye to notice that it was not one of the "regular" Sanibel seashells.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cowry at Lighthouse Point?

Well DownislandDreamer... as MK so correctly put... "this is a rare find" - so obviously your Dad had a hand in it :)

Wonderful!!!

Enjoy it

Delaware
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cowry at Lighthouse Point?

Thanks to all for your kind thoughts and words!

10. Re: Cowry at Lighthouse Point?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 November 2014, 06:21
Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island