We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

75 or 41 Sanibel to MIA?

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Iowa
Level Contributor
300 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
75 or 41 Sanibel to MIA?

We are driving from Sanibel to MIA and wonder which would be the easiest or most interesting way to go, 41 through the Everglades or Interstate 75? Time is less important than which is the easiest/most interesting route. (We arrive in Ft. Myers, but will be returning from MIA) Thanks!

Dayton, OH / Marco...
Destination Expert
for Marco Island, Everglades National Park, Goodland
Level Contributor
3,887 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 75 or 41 Sanibel to MIA?

No doubt 41 aka Tamiami Trail ... see the old historic road ... many say the road started to kill the Everglades.

Two years ago FL started a long bridge on 41 .... many miles ... to increase the water flow to the Gulf to keep the Everglades alive. It should be complete by now.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
66 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 75 or 41 Sanibel to MIA?

Only the first mile of the Everglades Skyway was funded. I think it was completed in the spring. We've got 10 miles to go, but I think the funding commitment is there now. Stay tuned!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
12,721 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 75 or 41 Sanibel to MIA?

Easy I-75

Interesting 41

Miami
Level Contributor
161 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 75 or 41 Sanibel to MIA?

I got this one! Live in Miami and have taken both routes to/from Sanibel. What you might want to do is take I-75 down to the exit just before the transect point, I think it's exit 101 to Collier Blvd. Take Collier to Tamiami Trail (US 41), and then you will cross the state on a really lovely, quiet two-lane that is lightly traveled, and which allows you to see a great view of quite a few Everglades ecosystems. You can stop at the Big Cypress visitor center, you can take a short detour and visit Everglades City which is an interesting little tucked away village, and about half way across there is a visitor center for Everglades NP which is a great bio break point. You'll also pass the 'world's smallest' post office at Ochopee, At the other end you will pass the Shark Valley visitor center for ENP, and if you want to you can take a tram tour to get a nice overview of that area. The Miccousukee Indians have several tourist areas along this section as well; that's not my thing but if you want to see stuff like gator wrestling or take an airboat tour this is the spot.

The bridge section is indeed open. Don't expect anything grand; it's more a gentle overpass than anything else

One caution-once you emerge from the quiet section of US 41 it becomes SW 8th street, and it's an area that has had a LOT of development in recent years. So if you are heading to MIami Beach, or the Keys you will be in some traffic for awhile before you hit either the FL turnpike or the Palmetto Expressway.

Hope that helps. Enjoy your drive!

Iowa
Level Contributor
300 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 75 or 41 Sanibel to MIA?

Thanks for all the suggestions! Very helpful and appreciated.

6. Re: 75 or 41 Sanibel to MIA?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 December 2014, 05:16