We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Doc Ford Television Series!

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Doc Ford Television Series!

Set to air next fall.

captivasanibel.com/page/…

Thanks to McNaught5 who emailed me this great news for Randy Wayne White fans!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,185 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Doc Ford Television Series!

Just, and I mean one minute ago, reviewed McConaughey's recently released film in which he plays the role (based on a true story) of one of the very earliest patients diagnosed with AIDS in this country. Might be a combo of his actual aging and the expectation of significant weight loss for the part, but Matt looked pretty worn. (To good effect in this instance as his portrayal is, reportedly, drawing high praise and talk of an Academy Award).

Guess I wouldn't mind seeing some dynamic, talented, relatively unknown actor step into the Doc Ford series. That would give him a "clean slate" for developing the character and make him seem more authentic.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Doc Ford Television Series!

"dynamic, talented, relatively unknown actor" - yup, it worked REALLY well for the Longmire series. I'd never heard of Robert Taylor, an Aussie actor, who took the lead role. Brilliant casting as Longmire, like Doc Ford will pivot on the main character.

I think it was an action thriller writer who advised a friend fretting over what was happening to his book as it became a movie, "Take the money and walk away." Many movies and TV series have absolutely NOTHING to do with the book - all they have in common is a character name or title.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,997 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Doc Ford Television Series!

I am sure MM is no longer young lol.

They made a point Of that fact he was way too fit for his age when he starred in the stripper movie (magic mike?)

but yes, there should be a bigger upper frame for Doc. Having said that , given I was forced to accept Tom cruise as the 6 ft 4inch Jack Reacher I can't complain.

I too read mostly thrillers and It is hard when they mess with characters like that. And I too like the Longmire series, so isn't he Aussie? Maybe they need to head out that way to cast Doc.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Doc Ford Television Series!

Yup, Robert Taylor is an Aussie, but he still NAILED Sheriff Walt Longmire (one of my favorite mystery series). I think, though, people will come looking for the marina that does not exist where Doc lives and his old fish house home, also does not exist, and will be stunned the Chief of Police is Tomlinson. LOL (No, I do NOT know if he favors going commando).

I doubt they'll do much filming ON Sanibel. Maybe some 'beauty' shots, like they did with CSI Miami then shoot most episodes out in CA. They can put all the yellow filters on cameras they want, you ca still tell CA from FL. Besides, many books take place outside FL, especially the later ones. Then they come back.

I have a thing for FL based mysteries thanks to early exposure to Travis McGee and the Busted Flush. Love the Alex Rutledge series based out of Key West, The Lupe Solano books based in Miami, and the Max Freeman series based in Miami and the Everglades. And so many more. By the way Johnathon King, the man who authors the Max Freeman books, had one book talking about how the Tamaimi Trail was built - and it wasn't pretty.

By the way, if anyone would like to read FL based mysteries while vacationing there, this is a good starting point. Not all authors or series are listed, but most are there.

stopyourekillingme.com/LocationCats/USA/Flor…

Edited: 01 December 2013, 19:17
Boston...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Doc Ford Television Series!

Matt Damon

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Doc Ford Television Series!

I like that one too Yogamom! He is a fav.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
1,377 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Doc Ford Television Series!

Younger Doc, Jeffrey Donovan

Older Doc , Bruce Campbell

Can't tell I'm a Burn Notice fan.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
2,061 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Doc Ford Television Series!

Oh Wow - I have been away for a few days and just read this post. I am a huge Randy Wayne White - this is great news. I hope we will be able to view it in Canada!!!

Thanks for that reading link Tourmaline.... I smell a few more Christmas pressie hints to pass along to hubby :)

Shelbyville, KY
Level Contributor
546 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Doc Ford Television Series!

I just started reading through these novels this year. I hope the TV show doesn't ruin the rest of the books for me with bad casting! Matthew M would be a perfect Tomlinson, but I can't picture who would be Doc Ford. It's a shame Harrison Ford isn't 20 years younger!

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,997 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Doc Ford Television Series!

Try 40 lol