We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Concerned about no see um

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Alberta
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Concerned about no see um

My husband was reading some reviews on one of the beaches and it was getting a lot of complaints about people getting terrible bug bites, from the No See Um, are these bad at all of Sanibel's beaches does anyone know? We are staying at Anna Maria Island and have had no problems, we want to take our girls shelling to sanibel but we don't want to deal with bites, anyone who knows if there are beaches to avoid or not would be great! Thanks!

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
207 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Concerned about no see um

You can encounter no see-ums at any beach in FL. As Sanibel is reknowned as much more of a natural habitat, you will find what naturally occurs there. No see-ums are one of those things, along with works-class shelling, birding, and beautiful unspoiled beaches.

I am extremely reactive to insect bites of any kind. I just make sure that me & the kiddos are sprayed very well with high % DEET when we're out for the sunset, etc. The NSU's are most active around dawn & dusk, especially when there's little to no wind. It's never as though they are too bad for us to be outside. Just plan ahead to avoid their bites. I actually take a light-weight hoodie jacket so I can pull my hands into the sleeves if need be. For some reason they prefer my bonier places - knuckles, ankles, and even ears.

I know that DEET use is troublesome for a lot of people. We just make sure we have a good shower before bed.

Worst case scenario is you'll wind up with a few bites and itch for a week. It's just part of the experience.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Concerned about no see um

Our family stays on Captiva and Sanibel Islands a few times a year. We rarely get no see um bites. I would assume the complaints are from the same people that complain about getting a sunburn while not using a sunscreen. There seems to be a negative vibe on other Florida forums about Sanibel and the no see ums. I've seem a few DE's mention it as a deterrent for folks wanting to explore this gorgeous Island.

No see ums are more prevalent in the summer season due to the fact that it's the rainy season in Florida. Sanibel Island is lush with vegetation, over 2/3 rds of the Island is Nature reserve. This is why you may find no see ums more of a bother on Sanibel than other more commercial places like AMI. But trust me, they are every where in Florida.

No see ums are out mainly at dusk and early dawn. They like to hang out around thick vegetation. The gulf has a nice breeze that makes them less of a nuisance on the beach.

Use a spray if kayaking or canoeing on the bay, if you will be hiking through the stunning mangrove trees at Ding Darling or if you will be shelling for the over 400 species of shells on the third top shelling beach in the world at dusk or dawn.

Avoid wearing perfumes, hairsprays and strong smelling shampoos and deodorants, they seem to attract the no see ums. I also use a product with a high concentration of Deet, we spray our clothes, rather than our bodies. There are also other products that work well, Avon's Skin so soft and Cactus Juice, both are available in the grocery stores, Bailey's and Jerry's and Ace Hardware on the Island. You can find Cactus Juice on Amazon and pre order it if you choose.

Come prepared, bring something to protect you, grab a free shelling guide from the Chamber of Commerce on your way to the beach, and most importantly bring a bucket for all of those amazing shells you are going to find!

ottawa
Level Contributor
729 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Concerned about no see um

Been to Sanibel 8 times (spring/fall only) .. never a bite on me .. I have never used bug spray of any kind.

Honestly .. wouldn't worry about it .. avoid dusk/dawn hours "off beach" areas with thick vegetation .. on the beach even moderate winds usually clear out any kind of bugs ...

My gal once got a few bites .. but that was over in Fort Myers beach .. at around dusk.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Concerned about no see um

I've never gotten bitten by them.. my husband has... I'm not worried at all, bringing my kids this April. Take the advise of the previous posters. Have fun! I bet your kids will love it!

Lake Mary, Florida
Level Contributor
254 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Concerned about no see um

We were at Sanibel last summer for the first week in July, and NEVER experienced any bites. If you are sensitive, then observe the warnings above.

Johnstown, Colorado
Level Contributor
356 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Concerned about no see um

We've been to Sanibel two times and absolutely love it! Unfortunately on both visits I was bitten probably over 50 times and reacted HORRIBLY. I am not someone "who complains about a sunburn without using sunscreen" and didn't spend any time in the wooded areas or at dusk or dawn. It was seriously the most miserable I have ever been. My husband and kids had a few bites but did not react like I did. We have been to a few other places in FL and never been bothered. I LOVE Sanibel but may never go back because of the no seeumms. Good luck!

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Concerned about no see um

I was referring to the 4 recent reviews on Bowmans Beach that mentioned no Bug Spray use or steps to protect themselves from the no see ums. Thus the comment about sunscreen.

What deterrent did you use? Cactus juice gets recommended here a lot, but it did NOT work for our family. So sorry that you were bitten, I know afterwards is pretty miserable.

Johnstown, Colorado
Level Contributor
356 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Concerned about no see um

Unfortunately I had not heard of the cactus juice and we used deep woods off. I was the only one who was bitten so badly and the bites didn't bother my husband or kids. My doctor said that most likely I am allergic to them. It was pure misery... and I want to go back SO badly...

United States
Level Contributor
6,293 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Concerned about no see um

I am seriously affected by any insect bites. Only once in all the 20+ years I've been going to Sanibel and Captiva have I been so affected by bites that I thought about not going back. The truth being told, I did not protect myself like I should have on that visit.

Most times I go home with no or few bites. That one time it was unusually wet, unusually non-windy, and I ignored what I knew I should do: use bug spray!! It was a miserable trip home. But I went back again the next year, and surprise, not one bite!!

I think you hear about the complaints, but most people don't get on here and post about how they were not bit.

I've never been bitten on AMI.

10. Re: Concerned about no see um

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2014, 22:04