We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sanibel or siesta key

Level Contributor
75 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Sanibel or siesta key

Which would be your pick for two kids? Ages 11 and 8. Which is the quieter beach and which has the prettiest water?

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sanibel or siesta key

Well since you already booked your stay at the Holiday Inn on Sanibel, I vote Sanibel!

Level Contributor
75 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sanibel or siesta key

I have booked but I made sure I could cancel. I paid no money down. Just scared everything is going to be rented before I make up my mind. I have been looking at southwest florida for weeks and it is a hard decision, especially when you are unfamiliar.

United States
Level Contributor
6,348 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sanibel or siesta key

I didn't know you had already booked Sanibel, but I still vote for Sanibel anyway. I was not that impressed with Siesta Key beach for quietness. The sand was nicer, but definitely not as quiet, at least when I was there. That was in winter though.

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,668 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sanibel or siesta key

I have been to both, and my opinion is that Sanibel is quieter but Siesta Key has prettier water.

Although the Crescent Beach area of Siesta Key was much quieter than the public beach area

Edited: 02 February 2014, 04:09
ottawa
Level Contributor
736 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sanibel or siesta key

Sanibel is just so special and unique .. I can't think of anything that Siesta Key has over Sanibel .

I would take Sanibel for sure .. and I've stayed at both.

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,668 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sanibel or siesta key

Also take into consideration that you are posting on the Sanibel forum so you are going to get more opinions favoring Sanibel.

If you post on the Siesta Key forum, the answers will favor Siesta Key.

They are both very different places and one is not better than the other...it is a matter of personal preference

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,984 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sanibel or siesta key

badge - the holiday Inn is wonderful. I stayed there recently, great pool bar, nice grounds, beach is good.

Edited: 02 February 2014, 12:10
Worcester MA
Level Contributor
584 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Sanibel or siesta key

I also stayed at the Holiday Inn, though it was years ago. It was great.

Sanibel is one of the top 3 places in the world for finding shells. If your kids are at all interested in looking for/collecting seashells, they can entertain themselves for hours on end- or the whole family could shell together.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
2,060 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sanibel or siesta key

Hey Badgejunkie - I stayed at the Holiday Inn last year - just for one night as a "scouting trip" to see if we would like to spend two weeks there this year (6 sleeps left :)

We were very comfortable there. It has quite a "motel" feel to it but better being right on the ocean. The property is really nice and I think perfect for children age 8 and 11. The pool area is lovely and the whole property is nice and clean. The proximity to the beach is perfect. We were there in March and the Inn was not fully booked but it was busy and yet it was still pretty quiet and laid back.

I think you made the right choice.

Enjoy!

10. Re: Sanibel or siesta key

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2015, 06:18