We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveler's insurance

New England
Level Contributor
133 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Traveler's insurance

The place where we will be staying recommends getting traveler's insurance. Is this something that most people do? I hate to spend our vaca $ on insurance, but on the other hand there is always the "what if's". If we had to back out and our place could not be re-rented we would still have to pay the full amount. Ouch. And does insurance cover plane tickets? I suppose each policy and company is different...

If it is a good idea, what company to go with? Or should I have my travel agent set it up?

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
207 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveler's insurance

I think most rental agencies write their Travel policies through Travel Guard. A lot of policy info about inclusions, exclusions, etc. can be found on their site. There are also different levels of coverage.

I would be almost certain that the rental agency also gets a commission from the policies that they "sell". The policies I've seen priced were about $120, nothing huge.

If I was booking a trip today for a trip just a few months in advance, I'd probably NOT take the coverage. That's just me. My folks,on the other hand, nearly always take it. They actually used it for a Hawaii trip they couldn't take for my dad getting sick.

You'll just have to decide what risks there might be abc weigh it against your cost. I will just also add that a few years ago when the BP Gulf oil spill occurred, I don't think that was even a covered situation on which to cancel...another TAer might remember better.

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveler's insurance

I have occasionally used travel insurance, but more often do not. Usually the final 80% payment is not due until 30 days prior to your visit. The cost of the trip insurance is 6-7% of the cost of your rental. It is important to know exactly what the trip insurance covers and what it does not cover. Most of the reasons that I might need to cancel a trip would not be covered. Then there is all the hassle of "proving" that you meet one of the criteria for the insurance to cover a problem. Often times I decide that we will just "self insure" the trip, which means that we will just be out the nonrefundible costs of the trip, in the unlikely event that we do have to cancel or cut short our trip. Unless the Sanibel beaches are officially closed, the presence of Red tide or releases from Lake O, do not usually justify trip insurance to pay for someone cancelling a trip. So, make sure that you know what the travel insurance covers, prior to purchasing it.

Level Contributor
122 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveler's insurance

We buy it and have used it for health reasons. So if you are of a certain age and/or have a health condition, you would be foolish not to purchase it. If you have a pre-existing condition, you generally should buy it within the first few days of purchasing your vacation package. Depending on the policy, if you wait, you will not be covered for cancellation due to the pre-existing condition.

Level Contributor
423 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveler's insurance

We don't take the insurance that the real estate rental agencies add to the rental invoice, but we have in the past purchased travel insurance on our own and tailored the policy to cover our airfare, luggage, etc. The cost isn't much more than buying it from the rental agency and it covers trip delay, trip interruption, lost luggage and other items that can be a factor when traveling from a long distance. If you go to the Travel Guard website you can research the various policies they have available.

Union, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,106 posts
440 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveler's insurance

Also check out Insure My Trip. They have many options. We recently used Travelsafe. They have a great policy that works for us.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
1,567 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveler's insurance

Time of year is important. I'd suggest insurance during Hurricane/Tropical storm season chance the next Charley rolls off the gulf.

7. Re: Traveler's insurance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2015, 05:19