We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sundial vs. Tarpon Beach

St. Louis
Level Contributor
4 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Sundial vs. Tarpon Beach

We are trying to narrow down a condo rental for this summer and need advice! We are a family of 4, 2 daughters ages 14 and 11. Looking at rentals through Royal Shell at both Tarpon Beach and Sundial. Does anyone have experience using Royal Shell (noticing none of their properties are reviewed on tripadvisor, etc.) or with either of these complexes? Looking for pros/cons of each--including size, amenities, location on island, etc.

Thanks!

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sundial vs. Tarpon Beach

We use Royal Shell every year for our summer trip for the past 14 years or so. Their customer service is outstanding and I rarely see a complaint about one of the their rentals. There are reviews of some of their properties within the forum and within the Captiva forum, just search for Royal Shell.

Agencies must participate in Flip Key in order to have their individual units listed under TA reviews. Most don't, the condos listed are a very small percentage of actual condo rentals on the Island.

Tarpon Beach and Sundial are pretty opposite choices! Tarpon Beach is a quiet, smaller condo complex while Sundial is a huge full service resort with resort amenities including 3 on site restaurants. One will have a ton of people around, one will give you more privacy. Both are in excellent areas of the Island and both are on the beach.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sundial vs. Tarpon Beach

I just took a look at the Condos that are reviewed here, there are 677 of them and a large percentage of those are managed by Royal Shell. Click on the green vacation rentals tab above. This has changed since the last time I looked, you used to only be able to review Flip Key rentals!

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
1,023 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sundial vs. Tarpon Beach

We are owners at Tarpon Beach, so can answer any questions you might have about that property (we are already fully booked for the summer, so no self promotion, just information). There is also a forum participant who owns at Sundial (murexken), so they would certainly be able to help as well. Agree that these are two very different properties, and both could provide wonderful but somewhat different vacation experiences...all depends on what you are looking for.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sundial vs. Tarpon Beach

Murexken owns at Sanddollar, not Sundial.

St. Louis
Level Contributor
4 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sundial vs. Tarpon Beach

I am now torn between Sundial, Tarpon Beach (unit 305-through Royal Shell), and Sandpiper Beach 204. All of these are rentals through Royal Shell--and none have reviews. I think we would like a quieter vacation, so am leaning away from Sundial. Are you familiar w/ TB 305? My concern is lack of reviews--pics look great and I was told that Arthur Frommer stayed here...How is the beach in front of TB? Is the pool big enough to keep my girls, ages 11 ad 14, content? Is it in a location that is bike-able to restaurants, etc? Do you have any insight as to the pros/cons of the other properties? Thanks so much for your help!!

Mentioned in this post
Sandpiper Beach
Sandpiper Beach
23 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sundial vs. Tarpon Beach

The bike path runs right along side Tarpon Beach and Sundial Resort and is very near Sandpiper condos. Tarpon Bay and Sundial are about equal distance on opposite ends to the main street in Sanibel, Periwinkle Way, this is where the majority of restaurants and shops are located. Sandpiper is mid way between these two properties and will be furthest from Periwinkle.

I'm sure Hawkowl will be along to answer your questions about Tarpon Beach. Both Sandpiper and Tarpon Bay are gorgeous properties! The pools are about equal in size and I will also say that the beach area is very similar. Tarpon Bay condos sit a bit closer to the beach.

Sundial is a huge property, not my thing, but lots of people like to have access to the amenities offered. As I mentioned above, Royal Shell has an excellent reputation and the photos on their website are accurate and up to date. I

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel
Sanibel
Sanibel Island, FL
Periwinkle Way
Periwinkle Way
602 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
1,023 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sundial vs. Tarpon Beach

My bad...must remember to respond AFTER having coffee. We do not own unit 305, and do not personally know the owners, but are very familiar with this condo, and have been inside this unit as recently as last month. It is fully updated with bright decor, and has a very private lanai with a great view. The pool is good sized and never really crowded, and the atmosphere is very low keyed. Tarpon Beach is now a smoke free property, with no smoking on the lanais or in the pool areas. Sandpiper is also lovely, and the units are nearly identical to those at Tarpon. Let me know if you have other questions

St. Louis
Level Contributor
4 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sundial vs. Tarpon Beach

This helps so much...thank you!

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sundial vs. Tarpon Beach

I would totally choose that Tarpon Beach condo especially because Hawkowl likes it! I like how Tarpon Beach sits in relation to the gulf and it's location on the Island is really ideal. Well, anything in very close proximity to Bailey's is ideal for us! That Coffee Bar! And Bakery! And all the cool little things you never knew you needed on the hardware side!

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sundial vs. Tarpon Beach

Please tell me you have a few of the grocery bag magnets, so cute!

Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island