We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for places to stay

Kansas
1 post
Save Topic
Advice for places to stay

My fiance and I will be staying on Sanibel Island for our honeymoon during the last week of December. We've been looking at a lot of places online....it's been a bit overwhelming....there's quite a few possibilities! A few that have caught our eye were: West-End Paradise, Periwinkle Cottages, Forty Fifteen Resort, and Kona Kai Motel and Cottages. The latter seemed to be uncommonly inexpensive compared to the others.....do you have any advice as to what these places are like? Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated (with regard to these or any other places on the island)!

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
West-End Paradise
West-End Paradise
145 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
Periwinkle Park & Campground
Periwinkle Park...
300 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
Kona Kai Motel
Kona Kai Motel
413 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for places to stay

West End Paradise and Periwinkle Cottages are both located in a quiet, but slightly isolated area along San-Cap Rd well away from the 'business district' where all the restaurants are. You'll see plenty of wildlife and not be bothered by crowds. The bach will be especially quiet. Also on the 'U' shaped side road is Tropical Winds which has units on and off the beach. I like the 'Heron' unit at Periwinkle Cottages, but have never stayed at any of these places. All are well regarded. Only Tropical Winds has a pool - I think. You just take a stroll down the side road to the beach. No busy road to cross and there is a small lot if you feel the need to drive. Captiva resturants will be about as close as Sanibel ones. Doc Ford's will be the closest, maybe 5-7 minutes back toward the main part of Sanibel, and it's really good - one of the best for food quality.

Forty-Fifteen is on West Gulf closer to the busy area of Sanibel - just a few minutes to restaurants and such. The quiet end of Gulf Drive and run by the Mitchell's folks. Lots of repeat customers. On the beach.

Kona Kai is very well liked and overall a GREAT buy on Sanibel. It is mid-island and you'll need to bike or drive to the beaches. [pre-paid parking $2.00/hr at public beach access] Unfortunately, during Christmas, these lots fill quickly with folks who have no direct beach access or come from the mainland for a day at the beach. If you're an early-bird, it should be OK, but the lots don't hold that many cars and fill up quickly. Bowman's Beach - out off San-Cap Rd - has the biggest lot, picnic tables and facilities and might be the best bet. Kona Kai is on the east end and closest to the Lighthouse Beach, a smaller, but still adequate [usually] lot. It vies for the #1 spot in the ranking and is a BARGIN for being on island, but that's the drawback.

Mentioned in this post
Periwinkle Park & Campground
Periwinkle Park...
300 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
Captiva Island
Captiva Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Kona Kai Motel
Kona Kai Motel
413 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
Bowman's Beach
Bowman's Beach
2,594 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
Sanibel, FL
Level Contributor
927 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for places to stay

I don't know if you are interested in staying in condos or not as it seems you have been looking at cottages but you can stay at Loggerhead Cay (east end of Island) or Island Beach Club (west gulf) Sanibel Surfside (middle Gulf) for about $260 plus tax and charges. Not bad for the Holiday week. All complexes on the beach.

check out the Chamber www.sanibel-captiva.org and www.sanibel.cc

Mentioned in this post
Loggerhead Cay
Loggerhead Cay
156 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
Island Beach Club
Island Beach Club
49 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
New Hampshire
Level Contributor
365 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for places to stay

If you arent definite on Sanibel, I suggest an island just north of Sanibel that has a beautifu resort. palmisland.com- I think it would be a wonderful place for a honeymoon.

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Rochester
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for places to stay

My husband and I just stayed at kona Kai LAst month for 3 days with no children!. We have been going to Sanibel for years and picked it for the price. It was fabulous! small has a pool and friendly... But 2.00/hour is correct for beach parking! Check out Seashells of Sanibel.. my personal favorite.

It is across the street from the beach, but has a pool tennis. A good value for what you get!

Mentioned in this post
Kona Kai Motel
Kona Kai Motel
413 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
5. Re: Advice for places to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 13:20
Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island