We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there still a problem with brown murky water?

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Is there still a problem with brown murky water?

thinking of coming down now but have concerned about water quality.we were there a few times several years ago and never had that problem.Thanks for any information.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there still a problem with brown murky water?

I am hoping that someone who is on Island now will come along and give you a first hand report. I haven't heard anything negative about the water. Lake Okeechobee releases are supposed to be at half the rate of last summer, so things should stay clearer this year.

I have been on Island 3 times since last August and we didn't notice any discoloration or tannin stain in the waters when we were there. We stayed on Captiva and West Gulf on Sanibel for reference, those areas were normal.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there still a problem with brown murky water?

Try this link on the Mote Marine website for reports

http://coolgate.mote.org/beachconditions/

Click on the southern most outlined area and it will bring up a map. The flags give the location, day, time and observed conditions.

Edited: 09 May 2014, 02:59
The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there still a problem with brown murky water?

If that link stops working, go to the main Mote Marine website page here

http://tinyurl.com/nlrgvxc

Click on BEACH CONDITIONS

Another page will pop up. Again click on Beach Conditions Reports and the map with appear

Sanibel Island...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there still a problem with brown murky water?

Right now the water quality along Sanibel's beaches is great, as it is the peak of the dry season and we are not experiencing any stormwater runoff or freshwater discharges from Lake Okeechobee. Water conditions currently resemble that of the Caribbean.

If you are planning to come down between now and the beginning of June, I would expect the waters will be similar to what we are experiencing today. Unfortunately, there is no way to predict how much rainfall we will get this summer, or if the Army Corps of Engineers will need to release water from Lake Okeechobee like they did last year.

The City of Sanibel posts periodic updates on their website when the Army Corps is releasing water from Lake Okeechobee. Check www.mysanibel.com for updates.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,252 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there still a problem with brown murky water?

I was just in Sanibel 2 weeks ago and I couldn't believe how clear the water was compared to my trip last June!

Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there still a problem with brown murky water?

I am currently on Sanibel and the water condition is very good.

Water color is a tropical green with no murky/brown color at all.

We spent the day yesterday at Bowman's Beach and everything about it was beautiful.

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
24 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is there still a problem with brown murky water?

We live off West Gulf in Gulf Pines and the water has been beautiful lately. And warm. It won't be murky until very heavy rains lead to releases from Lake O.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is there still a problem with brown murky water?

Thank you for the on Island report, very much appreciated!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
6 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is there still a problem with brown murky water?

I'm here now and water is mint green. It's a little murky about ten feet out but not enough to bother us. It's just plant life.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is there still a problem with brown murky water?

On the island now - water was clear and beautiful yesterday. Today there is a weird oily, brown murky substance near the shore.... kinda gross... can't catch it in a net - so its not like algae... not sure what it is ... but ick.

Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island