We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Sangria Grill and Crows Nest?

Maryland
Level Contributor
198 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
The Sangria Grill and Crows Nest?

Haven't really heard too much about The Sangria Grill. Saw it on TA and thought I'd ask about it. Has anyone been here? How was it ... worth a try or skip? Not interested in anything expensive, just casually nice.

Also, considering going to Crow's Nest for the crab races. How is the food there? Thanks! (also looking for casual, with some lower fat alternatives, not just full on pub food.)

Thanks

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Sangria Grill and Crows Nest?

We skipped Sangria Grill due to the management responses to reviews here on TA. A complete turn off for us.

Here's one in particular that makes me want to steer clear:

tripadvisor.com/…CHECK_RATES_CONT

As for the Crow's Nest, they have a rather new menu, I think they go beyond pub food. Lots of choices that aren't fried! Here's the new menu:

www.tween-waters.com/CrowsNest.Menu.New.pdf

Tyngsboro...
Level Contributor
801 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Sangria Grill and Crows Nest?

We posted the first review of Sangria Grill. We liked the Sangria and what we had to eat. Don't know if it fits casually nice. We liked it. Others have been decidedly negative. There does seem to be a love it or hate it attitude. If you like sangria and want something light and easy to eat, give it a try. If you want a nice meal in a casual atmosphere with friends, maybe you should try somewhere else.

Maryland
Level Contributor
198 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Sangria Grill and Crows Nest?

Thanks Bean3! I skimmed some of the reviews and comments about the Sangria Grille. Wow. I'm not even sure what to say. Not putting out a good vibe, that's for sure. !!

Thanks for the link to the new Crows Nest menu!

2rh
Clinton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
82 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Sangria Grill and Crows Nest?

I'm not sure what is more suspect, the owner's rude response to a negative review (thought folks from the Midwest were supposed to be nice?) or the "OUTSTANDING" new reviews. I agree 100% with Jess68, not sure what to say about the sudden "WOW" reviews. It reminds me of my dentist offering a four-pack of movie tickets for five-star reviews on that well-known business ranking list.

I don't envy business owners, but also being in a service industry myself, the customer is always right; even if they are totally wrong in my mind I try to remain civil. It's not like that customer will come back, but you have to worry about new customers' opinions of you.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
1,504 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Sangria Grill and Crows Nest?

I kind of wonder about the latest glowing reviews...but perhaps they are getting their act together. Like codger says, it might be a love or hate place.

My hubby and I stopped in last October when they first opened and the chef, dressed in a Hawaiian surfer shirt and flip flops, came running out to the parking lot all apologetic that we'd come for dinner because he had run out of food. Okayyyyyyy? He chatted at us for a good 10 minutes begging us to return which we finally agreed to. We got in the car, looked at each other, and burst out laughing. The song "Stone Soul Picnic" came to mind. Just sayin'!

We did not go back yet......but we might!

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
207 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Sangria Grill and Crows Nest?

Those totally conflicting "reviews" had me immediately envisioning the Gordon Ramsey show, featuring Crazy Amy from Scottsdale, AZ. (I chose not to list the business name so that no more free publicity is provided to them. )

Unfortunately, I think it's human nature to spread news of a complaint rather than a job well done. With so many of the same type of complaints (ie raw shrimp), you'd have to believe that they are genuine.

It's disappointing that some business owners shrug off customer's complaints as if they are unfounded. Sometimes criticism can be the best learning tool.

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,984 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Sangria Grill and Crows Nest?

I have to say, a snotty response would keep me from going into that restaurant. Sweet Melissa's did that a few years ago, it has kept me away. People in management need to be gracious and kind, and listen.

Monmouth County,NJ
Destination Expert
for Southampton Parish
Level Contributor
2,298 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Sangria Grill and Crows Nest?

Crows Nest....we were there 2 weeks ago and have been there several times before....the food this time was "good"....better than just bar/finger food. Actually, we set out for a different restaurant, but lack of time was getting the best of us because we wanted to make the crab races (we usually go every year)....so, we opted to eat at the Crows Nest and was pleasantly surprised. There was something for everyone on the menu...and the best part.....Will (I think that is his name.....the guy that runs the crab races)....came over and asked if any of the ladies wanted to "sit at the crab table" for the event. Don't know anything about the Sangria Grill....but, we did go to the Greenhouse Grilll and had a wonderful meal.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Sangria Grill and Crows Nest?

Yep, Sweet Melissa's insulted customers in their responses, I remember that well.

As for the Sangria Grill, we experienced the same thing as Zin did. We were there in October as well and were met at the front door by the woman who runs this place with the chef. Told us, not asked us to come back. There's a difference. I was still willing to give it a try, but by the time we were on Island again in December, the reviews were coming in.

There are a lot of restaurants and businesses on the Island that pad their own reviews. Always be wary of the one hit wonders.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
201 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Sangria Grill and Crows Nest?

Seems odd to have ten 5 star reviews in a row. I don't know that any Sanibel/Captiva restaurant has that. Also, as I read the reviews, the same words kept popping up, like "gem", "magical" and that happens over on Yelp. Kind of gives it all a strange feel.

Maybe they have gotten their act together, but geez, keep the response to less glowing reviews polite. Everyone who said its a turn off is so right.

On yelp they actually reference that the diner is foreign, so he clearly is confused by their concept of eclectic dining. Yuck.