We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting in August?

Denver, Colorado
12 posts
Save Topic
Visiting in August?

Is August an okay time to visit Sanibel Island? I hear that between hurricane threats and muggy weather, it isn't. Any advice? We are interested in visiting in August or would otherwise have to wait until December or March (school breaks).

Missouri
Level Contributor
88 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting in August?

I personally have enjoyed visiting in August. This August we are visiting the 9th through the 16th, our third August visit. It is hot, but you are near the ocean with a breeze. To be honest, I didn't notice much difference between the heat when we were visiting in June and when we visited in August, but maybe that is just me. Use plenty of sunscreen and bug spray (in the dawn and dusk) and you will have a wonderful time. The island is not crowded and it is easy to get around. Of course, I have never been there during a "bad" time and I don't go during high season when it is really crowded. If you are worried about hurricane season, then you wouldn't visit June through October (I believe). I guess I just don't let myself worry about things I can't control.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting in August?

I've been on Island in August, and yes it's hot. It gets very hot in my hometown in August as well, I'd rather have my toes in the sand and feel that Gulf breeze than not!

Hurricane season on the Gulf Coast is June 1st through November 30th with the most concern towards late August through November. Honestly, that's a long 6 months to avoid travel to Sanibel for me! March is peak high season, you will find a significant difference in rental rates and the Island will be crowded compared to off season. The beginning of December is still quiet, but the closer you get to Christmas the more people you will find. Longer waits in restaurants and rental rates go back up.

Ten years ago, in 2004, Sanibel was in the path of Hurricane Charley. Charley hit a few days after we had left the Island. If Sanibel is in the projected path, you will have plenty of notice to evacuate.

Working around kids school schedules, we have always visited in the summer months. I would visit in August again without hesitation.

Missouri
Level Contributor
88 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting in August?

Sorry kndenver--I was off a month on the hurricane dates. I visit Sanibel during October and November also and so far haven't had anything to contend with besides a thunderstorm. If you are truly worried, look into the travel insurance you can purchase. I really can't provide any information about it because I haven't purchased it, but I know that it is available.

Stephanie

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,185 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting in August?

Okay...and here comes the cautious point of view. As others have said, Sanibel is a great place to visit...any time! I will add, though, that people do have different tolerances for heat and humidity. The older kids seldom seemed to be affected much, but a few of us adults found we could tolerate that combo only in limited doses. Still...if one has a water view condo with a nice ceiling fan on the lanai, we "heat sensitive" types can always take a break with a good book and still enjoy being, "at the beach". We might retreat into the air conditioned area if it is an exceptionally hot & humid day! We just do our "beach time" in the early part of the day and again in the evening.

5. Re: Visiting in August?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2015, 07:24
Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island