We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Book Nook closed

San Antonio, TX
Level Contributor
724 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
The Book Nook closed

I just returned from the Book Nook on Palm Ridge Road and it has closed. I was going to exchange a Randy Wayne White mystery for one that I have not read and was sad to see its doors shuttered. It was open last May and I thought it was a very nice and interesting book store. Does anyone know if there is another book store on Sanibel that sells used books and/or takes trade-ins?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
2,063 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: The Book Nook closed

Ok...so I just went shopping on Amazon. I have picked up the first book in each series mentioned in this post for the following....Tony Hillerman, Raymond Chandler and AD Scott. I have promised myself to make the time to read !!! Wish me luck.

Worcester MA
Level Contributor
584 posts
1 review
Save Reply
22. Re: The Book Nook closed

Jane- Tony HIllerman's first novel isn't part of the series, though it is excellent too. The first book in the series is actually "The Blessing Way". Sorry I didn't mention this before.

This whole discussion is making me realize how subjective a lot of this is. I mentioned a few of my favorites to Tour, and she mentioned other series I am familiar with and didn't love that she prefers. No one is right or wrong IMHO but it's interesting to wonder why one series "grabs" one person and another series doesn't.

Worcester MA
Level Contributor
584 posts
1 review
Save Reply
23. Re: The Book Nook closed

Jane- Good luck!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
2,063 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: The Book Nook closed

Thanks Wini - I did my research and ordered "The Blessing Way" - I really do want to read a series - but could not decide on which one - that is why I picked one of each of the best that appealed to me in this post - I'll read each one (hopefully before the next visit to Sanibel) and then decide which one "grabs" me and then I will dedicate my reading time to that series....or then again maybe none of them will grab me - but at least I will try. Oh <sigh> I cannot wait for retirement :)

Worcester MA
Level Contributor
584 posts
1 review
Save Reply
25. Re: The Book Nook closed

Jane, both Tour and I love Tony Hillerman. Just saying.

Tour, I looked Rhys Bowen up. I read the whole Evan Evans series and enjoyed it. I read the Molly Murphy series, too and liked it even more ( loved her neighbors!). I read only a few of the Royal Spyness series and it didn't really grab me, but I'll try it again at your recommendation. As I said to Jane above, it's fun to wonder about why different people prefer different series, even when all the series considered are very highly rated. I loved the first Harry Dresden book.

Edited: 02 June 2014, 13:11
The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
26. Re: The Book Nook closed

Winnie - Rhys Bowen is a fine writer, but Her Royal Spyness has it's ups and downs, despite nearly every book going for awards. She does an amazing job of capturing the period and the royal family.

My favorite Molly Murphy, and I haven't read the whole series, was The Last Illusion. I love mysteries with a magician in them.

United States
Level Contributor
6,398 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: The Book Nook closed

I now have enough reading ideas to last me, like forever! I need to get started.

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
365 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: The Book Nook closed

Try the Sanibel Bookshop on Periwinkle.

http://sanibelbookshop.com/

Worcester MA
Level Contributor
584 posts
1 review
Save Reply
29. Re: The Book Nook closed

The Sanibel Island Bookshop is my favorite book store on the island, too. But it's only for new books ( and some jewelry, clothing and such) - they don't sell or buy second hand books.

30. Re: The Book Nook closed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2015, 05:15