We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bicycle lights ?

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
743 posts
Save Topic
bicycle lights ?

Hi all, I have been going to Sanibel for years .. but this last trip I noticed more night time/dusk cyclists using lights .. some had lights on their bike helmuts .. others had lights on the bikes themselves.

Is this becoming more common ? If so, do bike shops rent bike lights now ??

If they (bike shops) do I am surprised - since night cycling is usually strongly discouraged on Sanibel (for good reason).

cheers all !!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
2,111 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bicycle lights ?

Good question jsOttawa,

We too saw several night riders. Our condo loaners did not have lights so we did not venture out after dark. Next visit DH is driving down and will bring our bikes (complete with lights) but this is good information to know. Hopefully someone will have an answer

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
743 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: bicycle lights ?

my next trip this October .. I am thinking about not renting a car .. that's because the visit is likely to be 3 weeks minimum .. car costs for 3 weeks is getting a bit high .. If I thought I could occasionally get around by bike after dinner / drinks .. on a bike with light that is .. that would make the decision easier and sway me towards the "no car" option .

Worcester MA
Level Contributor
584 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: bicycle lights ?

If I was going to try cycling at night I'd want a reflective vest or some such thing.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
1,438 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bicycle lights ?

Sanibel Law requires both front and rear lights after dark. I don't know if rentals have lights.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
2,111 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bicycle lights ?

Well js that is a great idea if you are not planning to rent a car then a bike "with lights" is the next best thing. It should be easy for you to bring the required lights (front and rear) and possibly a reflective vest with you from Canada. That way you'll know that you will comply with the laws and most importantly be safe :)

Good luck!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
743 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: bicycle lights ?

Yes .. since I don't cycle at night at home .. I'd have to buy all that stuff .. which may push the equation back to the rental car .. something to ponder.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
2,111 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bicycle lights ?

Still way cheaper than a rental car :)

Highlands Ranch...
Level Contributor
162 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: bicycle lights ?

I also recommend bells for bikes just to let others know you're coming from behind. The bikes from our rental house had broken ones. So we went to the hardware store (Ace?) & got them for about 5.00. We found many bicyclists didn't do any alerting when passing. But did appreciate the many cars that gave bikes the right of way to cross streets.

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: bicycle lights ?

I love bike paths, but I avoid riding on roads with cars if at all possible. And I would NEVER ride at night on a dark road with cars. Lights or not, it is a Recipe for disaster.

10. Re: bicycle lights ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island