We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Condo Selection Help

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas City
Level Contributor
54 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Condo Selection Help

We are starting to plan ahead for spring break and need some help with condo selection - the variety is somewhat overwhelming, so help narrowing down options would be great. Our wish list is the following:

fun pool for kids - slide would be extra bonus

pool/beach side bar, preferrably with food (at least burgers, etc., for lunch)

beach front or easy beach access

chair/umbrella rentals nearby (or condo that comes with chairs/umbrella)

close to other water sport rentals (paddle board or similar)

Our budget is around $2000 for the week and we will be there mid-March.

Thanks!

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Condo Selection Help

The all important question, how many are in your party? How many bedrooms do you need?

Kansas City
Level Contributor
54 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Condo Selection Help

2 bedroom, 2 bath is preferable. 2 adults, 2 kids.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Condo Selection Help

Easy to narrow down since there aren't many places that have both a pool and a poolside bar/grille. Look at Casa Ybel, West Wind Inn and Sundial. The only place that I am aware of that has a kids pool slide on the entire Island is Sundial Resort. Sanibel Inn also has a poolside grille/ bar, but the pool is on the small side there.

Sanibel has a lot of Gulf front condos to choose from. You can find condos in individual complexes that will have some amenities including a pool, or condos that are part of a small Inn or hotel type place with amenities but no restaurant, or you can find a condo at a resort type place with the pool and the dining as mentioned above.

The majority of accommodations are located along the Gulf, you just walk out your door and you are on the beach.

Another place to consider is South Seas Resort on Captiva Island. It's geared towards families and has a huge kids pool with slides and all the other things you mentioned. Captiva is the Island just North of Sanibel, you have to travel through Sanibel to get there.

Cape Coral, Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Condo Selection Help

I would look at Sundial. We've stayed there before, and have another trip booked. I like the fact that they are condos, but still have the daily maid service like a hotel (or they did when we were there last, hoping that has not changed). Very family friendly.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Condo Selection Help

I think Sundial is your choice. The $2000 budget is the problem. A quick look at VRBO shows some 2 bedroom units available there, but they will not beach front. South Seas will run $3400 for a 2 bedroom Tennis Villa not anywhere near the beach.

Edited: 22 July 2014, 21:37
Bowling Green, OH
Level Contributor
2 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Condo Selection Help

To get all your asking for you have to stay at South Seas. Problem is, you have to go off season to do the $2000. That will only include the room in a beach villa. Period. It is very expensive at South Seas with mandatory usage fees per person of about $35 each. The food is expensive and no maid service.

I suggest reworking this to a condo on Sanibel, renting a boat, or whatever you want to do out of one of the marinas, and enjoying the Gulf and a pool.

The shelling is the best activity, but you can find all water sports.

Some condo pools do not allow night swimming, pool toys, and have lots of rules. I would check that first.

Pointe Santo is very kid friendly. They used to have a kid's club when mine were little, I think they still do. BUT, if you stay there, really review the condo choice. Look at recent photos, etc. We had a great condo, then a horrible one. I did stop by there this June and the outside was completely renovated. It was gorgeous. Very glad to see that.

Wish I could deliver all your asking, but after many, many visits there, I just don't think it's possible in March.

United States
Level Contributor
6,293 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Condo Selection Help

Sundial does sound like a good choice for you, but check carefully when you look at units. We stayed there once in a unit that was terribly old and crappy. We didn't look at the pictures carefully enough. The second time we did much better. Bean knows which buildings face the gulf, so if you do decide to stay there, post again, and I'm sure she will let you know those numbers.

Fort Myers, FL
Level Contributor
353 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Condo Selection Help

There is a difference between Sundial Resort and renting a condo at Sundial through a private party or vacation rental company. Confusing, I know! When you rent an individual condo you don't know what you are going to get and you don't have access to all of the amenities. If you rent at Sundial Resort, the units are more uniform plus you get bikes, kayaks, pool with slide, family activities included

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Condo Selection Help

Actually when you rent through the resort, you have no idea what you are getting. Many of the units in the resort rental program are privately owned and vary widely depending on how/when updating has occurred. And you do pay a resort and recreation fee when you rent through Sundial (I believe it is $30 per day per unit) unless you get a package where the amenity fee is waived which would most likely not be available during March.

When you rent through an owner or rental company (who is representing the owner), you can actually see photos of the unit and ask how current the photos are. The rental agencies should be straightforward about the condition of their units. If you need the resort amenities, you pay an additional charge which I believe is more than if you rent through the resort. Latest reports indicate it is $20 per day per person.

March is a pricey time to go to Sanibel!

ottawa
Level Contributor
729 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Condo Selection Help

Actually the SSeas Tennis Villa's are quite close to the beach .. maybe a 3 minute walk .. I stayed there and it was only about 150-200 yards from the beach in a straight line.