We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SW FL mystery series

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Topic
SW FL mystery series

Well mystery lovers, this series is NOT set on Sanibel or Captiva, but it's northern neighbor, Longboat Key and the areas of Sarasota Bay, including Anna Maria, that boaters and fisherman know and love. Author H. Terrell Griffin has a nice style and the kind of lifestyle he describes is much like our own favorite islands. More of a legal thriller at times, I'm on book 3 (need not read in order) and I like his stuff. Not great, but a good choice for the right atmosphere for an island read and a decent mystery that's well written.

The author is a trail lawyer in Orlando, former military, and obviously loves island life for all the same reasons we do.

United States
Level Contributor
6,050 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SW FL mystery series

Thanks for that info, Tourmaline! Anna Maria Island is another favorite of ours, so I would enjoy reading even a decent story with that as the background. I will look for his books.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,777 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SW FL mystery series

I'll check them out. Been reading the Doc Ford ones for a while, but I have noticed a drop off in quality.

I heard CBS was thinking of doing a TV series, any of you hear about that?

United States
Level Contributor
6,050 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SW FL mystery series

I found them on-line, Tour, and I was surprised to find that there are apparently 8 of them. Just curious, are you reading them in order anyway? I tend to do that with series, whether they overlap with information or not.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: SW FL mystery series

I did read Longboat Blues first. It had more of a courtroom feel, but enough 'island life' that it worked. I'm reading a later one in the series now. Like most mysteries, there's no problem doing that. This one, Collateral Damage is more islandy so far.

ANd yes Amanx, the quality of the Doc Ford books is off compared to his early stuff. The prose itself is great, the plots, not so much, and Doc has kind of become a different person, more like Robert Parker's Spencer or even a little Jack Reacher. I think all series are guilty of that after a certain number of books. Including Spencer and Reacher.

United States
Level Contributor
6,050 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SW FL mystery series

Sometimes when the lead character is the same in each book, I like having some known background about them. Think I will start with Longboat Blues. Thanks.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SW FL mystery series

CBS passed on the story pitch, here's the updated information:

news-press.com/story/…

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,777 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SW FL mystery series

Thanks Tourmaline and Bean.

Yes, the DF books have taken a dive. Not sure if he is bored with the character, or having problems with him aging. He is certainly not as gentlemanly with his affections as may regard younger women than before.

Basically he is not the same character as in the earlier books. And I read his first Hannah book and he doesn't write a young woman well either. Will still try another though.

Sorry to hear about the TV series though. Might have been fun, but then again, if game of thrones can bring hoards to northern ireland I'd hate to see what the series would do to Sanibel now I think about it.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: SW FL mystery series

No kidding. I'd just as soon it never happened. I belong to a book swap site. Before A&E did the Longmire series (it's excellent, by the way, the lead actor and writers NAILED Longmire), the books would 6, maybe 12 wishers. Suddenly, even his old books had 100 wishers! And that just A&E! With a short summer run of what 6-8 episodes? I shudder at what splashing Doc Ford all over TV would do.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
2,010 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: SW FL mystery series

Oooh. Thanks for the series info Tour. I'll add to my list of "one of these days" :)

Stuttgart, Germany
Level Contributor
215 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: SW FL mystery series

Thanks for this information. I have just bought a kindle edition of one of the Doc Ford's stories. Unfortunately not all are available as an ebook. Looking forward to reading this. Wonderful!

Have a great day all!