We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ernesto - Tropical Storm Watch

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Topic
Ernesto - Tropical Storm Watch

For those with travel plans to Sanibel, the island is in the cone of Tropical Storm Ernesto. Please follow www.mysanibel.com for updates on any inforation regarding safety precautions. Also, contact your accommodations, owners, resort/hote/morel, or agency to see if any additional steps will be taken by them for insurance reasons.

Ernest has been down graded from a minimal hurricane to a tropical storm. For those interested you can follow the weather reports on www.NHC.NOAA.GOV for all official reports.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ernesto - Tropical Storm Watch

The latest advisory has Ernesto taking a slingshot path off Florida's east coast and back out into the Atlantic, so it looks like Sanibel should be safe. Unfortunately it won't stir up the Gulf to add shells either.

Hurricanes are very unpredictable, so as always, just keep an eye on what's happening. Florida has excellent communications on hurricanes and tropical storns, so the www.mysanibel.com site will have the best on risk assessments. It will run on the conservative side, as it should.

nj
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ernesto - Tropical Storm Watch

I am a fellow bosc forum member wondering What happened over there last night and at the other two spin offs such as the sanbox etc.

nj
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ernesto - Tropical Storm Watch

I am a fellow member of bosc. Can you shed some light about what happened to the forum and the two spin off ones that Tink started. This was the only way off contacting any fellow posters, as I rembered your post about libby and kim and trip advisor.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ernesto - Tropical Storm Watch

Hello - I have been unable to open the BOSC site and was wondering myself. I sent an email to Kim but if the site is down she may not get it.

As for the other two, Tink closed both. That anonymous email thing understandably upset her. I didn't think anyone was saying anything bad, but I guess she did. They were her sites and her choice. I can't imagine who would bother with an anonymous email, but it did prompt me to go in and change all my account settings. That's what I emailed Kim about. It seems the migration caused them to go back to default settings.

I am careful on both sites about mentioning the other. Sanibel is now out of the warning area for Ernesto, but Naples is still in it. Maybe as it moves north the change in wind direction will wash up some shells. According to the Maimi Herald it was a fizzle, so things should be good.

hsk
Florida Keys
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Ernesto - Tropical Storm Watch

Just FYI about Ernesto -

I live in the middle Keys and we only got about an inch of rain and some winds. Nothing to get excited about. It is still overcast and rainy here, but we didn't even have a tree limb down.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ernesto - Tropical Storm Watch

Thanks hsk!

Sanibel, FL
Level Contributor
926 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ernesto - Tropical Storm Watch

It's 1:30pm on Sanibel Island - It's been raining for a few hours. Lucky for us Ernesto broke apart and went East of us. Experiencing some of the outer bands right now. No wind, just light rain - We are all very happy!!

nj
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ernesto - Tropical Storm Watch

Go to www.fodors.com/forum and there's an active link to the bosc one. It worked for me.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Ernesto - Tropical Storm Watch

Yes. khorner - BOSC is back up. Kim mentioned the crash on the Ernesto thread.

Rainstorm - We're all really glad it was just a big rainmaker.

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Ernesto - Tropical Storm Watch

2:30pm .... not even rain in the Tampa area, overcast though ... but I'm not complaining. Will just wait for the next "normal" afternoon thundershowers. LOL.

Phew! ... glad it didn't turn out to be anything.

Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island