We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report July 23-30

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
50 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report July 23-30

Our first family trip to Sanibel is complete and we are already wanting to go back! We stayed at a 2 bedroom at Sanibel Moorings. Everything about our stay was exceptional. You can read the review for details. Kids loved the ocean and pool so we went back and forth most of our trip. Cooked in most days but ate at Matzaluna, cheeburger cheeburger, and had ice cream at poco loco and pinnochios. All meals were good. Had groceries delivered by Jerrys Good service and worth the $25 delivery fee. Drove through Ding Darling around 7 pm one evening and saw birds and lots of fish jumping out of the water. No seeums were around but we used a high DEET spray and skin so soft and only got a handful of bites between the 5 of us. Our kids favorite was going to the beach at low tide and looking for shells. Lots of stranded starfish in tidal pools that the boys would put back in the ocean along with other live shells we found. Also took some walks at sunrise by myself from the condo to the lighthouse. Amazing. Shelling was ok. Enough to keep the kids interested but no great finds this time. Flying in and out of Fort Meyers was easy as was the car rental. I also shipped a box of supplies ahead of us to avoid checked bags and that helped tremendously. Sanibel Moorings was nice enough to hold our box free of charge and I sent it back via the packnship near the library the day before we left. 40$ each way to ship a 30 lb box which would have translated into 2 checked bags each way ($80 vs $200). Weather cooperated, just showers for about 30 min in the afternoon. It was hot but we cooled off in the pool and the gulf. It was an amazing week together and can't wait till next July!

Chicago
Level Contributor
199 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report July 23-30

You're right about the noseeums! We were there at the same time and they were brutal. We've never been bit before, but this year, my husband and I got lots of them despite using bug spray.

Glad you had a great time! We're trying to decide on when to go back next summer for our 5th year in a row.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
25,292 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report July 23-30

Thanks for a good TR Glad you all had a great time.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report July 23-30

Lovely trip report. Sounds like you had a great time.

Thanks for sharing with us :)

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report July 23-30

Perfect time in a perfect place! How did your marathon training go while there?

Level Contributor
50 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report July 23-30

Thanks for asking bean ! I did get a few runs in but unfortunately had some food poisoning and was out of commission for a few days. I'm using it as a lighter week. Weather here in Chicago is perfect in the morning so I'm back at it.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report July 23-30

Mailing supplies for your trip is a great idea ...saves $$$ for additional baggage and you don't have to lug it around ......I have to bring some gifts for our upcoming family reunion and that will certainly make it easier. I guess I should check with Sundial first to make sure they will accept it. Thanks Carolyn

Level Contributor
50 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report July 23-30

You can also send it to the packnship on San/cap road across from the library if sundial won't hold it. I shipped our packages home from there and they were helpful and do things like that all the time. The two guys there were very nice. I plan to give them a good review as well.

8. Re: Trip report July 23-30

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2015, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island