We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help from Tourmaline and Rainstorm

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
cuyahoga falls
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Help from Tourmaline and Rainstorm

Need help again from my local friends, apparently my wedding planner from Sanibel isn't planning for me any more (haven't heard anything from her in over 7 weeks when she was supposed to "get right back to me"). I've been trying to find a photographer in that area but no one will return calls, any suggestions? Also Tourmaline I see under your name it says The bakery, I also need a wedding cake could you steer me in the right direction? I've been told to look at Mason's website and they have beautiful cakes but we all know that how it tastes it what really matters! Thanks for the help ladies :-)

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help from Tourmaline and Rainstorm

LOL - I am amazed you see where I list as home, but I'm afraid I can't be of much help with wedding cakes. I believe Sue was married within the last year or so and she is a Sanibel native to boot so she would know the best place for wedding cakes I'm sure. I have seen Mason's recommended several times. I'm sure Rainstorm can also help. I can tell you some of the finest chocolates in the entire USA can be found at Norman Love Confections over by the airport on Lindbergh Blvd. He is regarded as one of the very best in the world. If you want to treat your guests, have some of his truffles with the cake!

I'm sorry to hear your wedding planner didn't pan out. I'm afraid I've seen that complaint here before. It stinks.

Sanibel
Level Contributor
375 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help from Tourmaline and Rainstorm

I know you didn't ask for my help, but HERE I AM ANYWAY!!! LOL!!! Mason's bakery is BY FAR the best! My friends are throwing me a baby shower this weekend (I know I work quickly!) and I specifically requested my cake be from Msson's! I was married previously (about 11 years ago) and we used Mason's for our wedding cake and it was the best! For a photographer I have always used and recommended David Meardon. http://www.sanibelphoto.com/ That is his website and in my opinion he is the best!

Hope all this helps!

Sanibel, FL
Level Contributor
926 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help from Tourmaline and Rainstorm

Here are a few other wedding planners that have a great reputation here. Island Celebration (Ellie See) 239 472 6500

and Wedding by Socialite - Kelly - 239 542 0414. My sources agree with Masson's being the best in wedding cakes. Flowers ----has to be Floral Artistry of Sanibel 239 472 3040 (she is extremely helpful and a wealth of information.)

cuyahoga falls
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help from Tourmaline and Rainstorm

Wow if I would have known about this site earlier I would have just hired the 3 of you to plan my wedding! LOL. You've already given my way more help than my "paid" wedding planner. I love the truffles idea and was already thinking along those lines so I will make a point to check Norman Love Confections out in Jan. Any excuse for sweets! I guess the verdict is in, Mason's is the bakery of choice which will make the groom-to-be very happy since he is sick of looking at pictures of cakes. I think if he had to look at any more I might be wearing one! LOL. Floral Artistry sound like exactly what I need, for a much as I love nature I really know nothing about flowers so the knowledge will surely be appreciated. Sue2ms - congrats on the newest member of your family! I hope all goes quick and painless for you :-) I haven't of David Meardon so he wasn't one of the ones who didn't return my call which is a plus. I will check out the website tonight. I would like to get the photographer booked sometime this week so I can scratch that off my to-do list. As always, thanks for the great advise ladies. I don't know what I would do without all the help, I'd probably be endlessly searching the web in tears by now! You've made the planning so much easier and fun too!

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help from Tourmaline and Rainstorm

Hey ladies - Maybe we have a second career here. rotflmao SueRain Tour Weddings? hummmm That's not working real well.

Sanibelbride - We live to help - and point folks toward cake, chocolate, and flowers!

MI
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help from Tourmaline and Rainstorm

SanibelBride, You have me nervous now because I recently booked a wedding planner. Any hints you can give to who she is? Are you having a big wedding? Where are you staying? I get confused because just when I have the minister/wedding planner/hotel/; then I read something negitive on here that makes you want to change my mind.

cuyahoga falls
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Help from Tourmaline and Rainstorm

Trying 2 - I know exactly how you feel about the confusion. We have booked the Sundial Resort for our wedding. I have read mixed reviews on this site about them but I have always had a positive experience there. So far they have been very helpful and willing to take care of any concerns/matters very quickly. As far as the wedding planner goes, it was Patricia Slater Weddings By The Sea. Now I did read on another forum on here that someone else had her and thought she was great. That wasn't my experience with her though. We we first spoke to her I was looking for someone to marry us, we got to talking and she gave us some good information and said it sounded like we need a wedding planner. I thought great someone who can get all the info for me and then I can make an educated decision on who I want for vendors. Well we sent our check, got NO contract OR even a receipt saying we are working together. THEN she tried to make me go to the place SHE wanted even though I kept telling her where I would like to check out. After about 2-3 conversations like this, that she kept telling me she didn't like vendors I was asking about I started to get a bit irritated so then she procedes to read me a letter of recommendation someone wrote about her?!! Which is not convincing me given the fact that your TELLING me where and who to have for the wedding. After that conversation she was supposed to call me back with info about a resort (the Sundial) and I haven't heard from her since and that was a couple months ago. Maybe I misunderstood what the wedding planner is but I just needed someone local to tell me info about places down there so I could make the decision. The ladies on this site have been A TON more helpful! Oh and she wants your credit card number to book everything and all your guest MUST go through her which I was not really comfortable with since I DON"T EVEN HAVE A CONTRACT! So I think I am out my $500 and now still have to find someone to marry us. In her defense I am sure there are people (like the person on the other forum) that have nothing but positive things to say about her, but that just wasn't my experience with her. I have gotten more help from the ladies on this website! I'm sure whoever you go with will work out just fine. Just make sure to get contracts and do some research before you make any final decisions. Best of luck to you!!!!!

Sanibel
Level Contributor
375 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help from Tourmaline and Rainstorm

Hey sanibelbride! Just wanted to let you know that my cake from Mason's for my baby shower was WONDERFUL!!!!! I got the fruit basket cake with the shipped cream icing! YUM!!!!

That's too bad about Pat Slater because we recommend her to quite a few people. Hopefully you can get your $$ back. Not to try an start anything, but if you are gettting a hard time about getting your $$ back, you may want to think about contacting the Sanibel-Captiva Chamber of Commerce about it. They can usually get things accomplished along those lines, especially if the party in question is a Chamber member.

uk
Level Contributor
257 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help from Tourmaline and Rainstorm

My daughter used Pat Slater for her wedding in Sanibel on 11th October and we were all extremely happy with the arrangements, which were all made by telephone and e-mail from the UK - the first meeting the bride and groom had with her was two days before the wedding. The photographer arranged by Pat did a superb job and the limo that she organised for the evening was fantastic, so maybe you were just unlucky as she never failed to return our and e-mails.

I arranged the cake myself the week before the wedding - from Publix bakery, made and decorated to order, simply delicious chocolate fudge "grooms cake", decorated with chocolate dipped strawberries!

MI
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Help from Tourmaline and Rainstorm

From what I understand, the wedding cordinator that I'm using has their own vendors that they use. No option of picking or choosing your own venders but my gut told me that I could trust my cordinator and the vendors as they're a team. This is better for me because I don't anyone (vendors) personally and happy the cordinator has this pre-arranged selection of people.