We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter rental

NJ
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Winter rental

We are a retired couple on a fixed budget interested in renting a condo or small house with a pool on Sanibel for January and February. The monthly rental cannot be over $3800, but we have not found anything yet. Does anyone have any ideas? Captain's Walk was affordable but there is no pool which we need for therapeutic reasons. Thanks for any advice.

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Sanibel Moorings Resort
Sanibel Moorings Resort
#1 of 20 hotels in Sanibel Island
Sanibel Siesta on the Beach
Sanibel Siesta on the Beach
#2 of 20 hotels in Sanibel Island
Beachview Cottages
Beachview Cottages
#3 of 20 hotels in Sanibel Island
The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter rental

On Sanibel, no, but perhaps someone else has some ideas. Feb is rented out well in advance on Sanibel. You may find something in Cape Coral about 30-40 minutes away, but they too rent well in advance, so you may be a bit late.

Try www.cape-coral-vacation.com, www.vacationhit.com, and www.gulfcoastrentals.com

You might also find something up around Rotunda or Englewood.

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Cape Coral
Cape Coral
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Englewood
Englewood
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Sanibel, FL
Level Contributor
927 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter rental

You can probably get a really nice place for that amount in Fort Myers.............try http://www.vip-vacationrentals.com/ I'm sure that you can get all that you are looking for at an affordable price. Very hard to find anything like that on Sanibel in Jan or Feb.

Mentioned in this post
Fort Myers Beach
Fort Myers Beach
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
NJ
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter rental

Thank you for the responses to my question about Sanibel in the Winter. It appears that I am too late in trying to find an affordable accomodation for this year. But for the future, can anyone recommend a condo complex or small house that would be within budget for a retired couple?

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Sanibel, FL
Level Contributor
927 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winter rental

http://www.scvrma.org/

This is a good site to start looking - all the rental companies on Sanibel on the same site. Very user friendly.

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Winter rental

Spanish Cay on Middle Gulf Drive. There are a couple of modest condos in there and they give breaks on 1 month or more

http://www.vrbo.com/32610

This one is refurbished

http://www.vrbo.com/51587 And you'd need to ask about 2 month breaks and keep in mind January is less than Feb - BUT I see no winter pricing so it may be owner occupied in peak months.

That's a tough price point on island in season when you need a pool and a decent one off season or off island.

I'd start with VRBO and with www.sanibel-captiva.org Where to Stay and then look at both owner direct rentals and the agencies. You may actually do best by putting an ad in The Islander and The Island Reporter with your needs and you may get a reply. Remember, in those months you'll need a heated pool and sometimes that's an extra charge.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,191 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Winter rental

Ringerdog123:

Try this link....

sanibelcaptivavacation.com/properties/index.…

It will take you to a site where you can view a darling duplex home withing the Dunes Golf Club. Well, actually, you have to select the home named Whole in One and then you will be at the site. You will see from the photos that a lovely pool is just down the lane...not far at all. Of course, you will not be on the beach, but you will be on Sanibel and the golf course view is very nice. I considered renting this one for a month myself this year, but cannot get away for that long.

If you find this of interest, post and let me know. I have the owner's direct e-mail address (she gives a discount) from when we were discussing rental arrangements. I believe Whole in One is within your budget. Possibly there is still availability this year.

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Winter rental

GrandmaMac - You are GOOD!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,191 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Winter rental

Hi, Tourmaline:

Now...that's a HIGH compliment coming from you! Thanks....

I originally found Whole-in-One on vrbo under "other Sanibel properties"...an area I don't generally visit, but went "surfing" there one day and I thought the rental unit had some appeal for a longer term visit. I don't think it is listed there any longer, however.

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
NJ
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Winter rental

Hello GrandMac,

Hole in One looks very nice and hopefully there is still a vacancy this winter. I would love to contact the owner if you have her email address. Thanks!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,191 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Winter rental

Ringerdog123:

I have some hesitation about posting the owner's e-mail without her permission, but I can post my own. If you will e-mail me, I will send her e-mail address directly to you. How does that sound?

dl.mccoy@insightbb.com

Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island