We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Live from the beach - Pointe Santo

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Jericho, Vermont
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Live from the beach - Pointe Santo

Arrived midnight.. hit the beach at 6 this morning(11/10).

... directly in front of Pointe Santo, there is a blanket of red sea weed.. There is about 20' of sand, then this blanket.. about 20' wide, up to 18" thick that runs maybe 500 yards in each direction. Then there was a beach with nothing else on it for maybe 30' to the water.. I think it is high - or going high tide. I walked towards the public beach and the sea weed started breaking up and was very spotty. Looking down the beach, it appears to be almost all gone. There is sea weed in the water all along the beach.. I'm not a ocean swimmer, but I don't think it would be fun to swim in or have small kids playing in. From this vantage point, it does look like directly in front of Pointe Santo is the worst.. I'll post more later .. heading to Ding Darling (they are closed on Friday)..

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Live from the beach - Pointe Santo

Thank-you! Keep us posted!

Jericho, Vermont
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Live from the beach - Pointe Santo

I hate it when I forget what day it is.. it is Friday and Ding Darling IS CLOSED!..

I did get out and about a little more on the beach around Pointe Santo.. .. basically, the public beach at the end of Tarpon Bay Road on the south side of the Island is at mile marker 4.5. Walking East, towards the light house, past marker 3.5 - the beach is basically the same. More or less, a blanket of sea weed 20 feet wide. There is weed in the surf, from the water's edge for about 5 or 6 feet.. then it clears out. The water past the weed is for the most part clear.. can see the bottom in 12-18 inches.. Heading West, towards Captiva for about the same distance (1 1/2 miles) the weed is not quite so thick... it beaks apart in places.. then comes back together in a 'blanket'.. but maybe half as dense as from marker 4.5 to 3.5 or 3.. the only odor is a slight one, towards marker 3. Will head to Blind Pass tomorrow sometime.. and will report on that....

.. the weather is SUPER! low 80's light breeze, no humidity!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
593 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Live from the beach - Pointe Santo

boy do i envy you...next summer is not too far away I guess, thanks for the report.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Live from the beach - Pointe Santo

I was wondering about that FL. lol I even checked by computer clock. rotflmao I am soooooo glad I'm not the only one.

Wilkes-Barre...
Level Contributor
38 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Live from the beach - Pointe Santo

What a fantastic time I have to report from the Sundial. We arrived 11/7 at 4:00 and were delighted that the beach was relatively algae free. Went for dinner at Gramma Dots and Loved ti. The ambience and food were wonderful. I had fried Grouper,potatoe crouqet,nice vegies and a chocolate shell filled w/ fruit. My daughter had steamed shrimp and enjoyed them.

Wednsday the beach was free of algae but the water smells like sulphur and is murky. The shells are still nice I found many Lightning Welks and Murexes,nutmegs,worm shells,scallops,and even a starfish! I love the shells here. I am thankful we have a pool b/c Thursday and today the beach is covered w/ algae,BUT it odes not keep us from the beach! I still walked for hours up and down the low tide line and found many beautiful shells along w/ a handful of other Sanibel lovers. I encountered others asking if this was my first visit eager to tell me what I alredy knew, the beaches aren't usually like this. I found myself doing thesame thing.

I also have my 82 year old mother here and she is also enjoying things very much in spite of the conditions. I look forward to tomorrow and the possibility of a clean beach.

Oh another awesome thing, dolphins are very happy right off the shoreline playing in groups of 3 to 5 or so. The water conditions don't seem to be bothering them at all. They were putting on quite a show!

The Sundial is absolutely beautiful. Our cond rented through cottages-to-castles is amazing, just gorgeous. The units seem very well maintained and the grounds are lush and groomed beautifully.

The pools are wonderful and I can here the ocean waves through my open windows ate night. Did I say I love it here?????

More later from Paradise.

Jericho, Vermont
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Live from the beach - Pointe Santo

A quick early walk on the beach and the shore off Pointe Santo has about 50% less red sea weed than yesterday. The tide is covering it up. While the tide is where it is, there is about 10' from the weed to the first wave, but you can see tons of shells now - this is our 10th year here. Don't know why I still looks for shells.. a couple of years back, I even found a Junonia -- the secret place was just in the water at a shelf, exactly opposite the walkway from the Tarpon Road public beach access! Good luck.

Jericho, Vermont
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Live from the beach - Pointe Santo

Afternoon update.

Ding Darling looks to be in good shape. It didn't appear much different that last year... One small 'gator. Didn't get out until high tide, so there wasn't much animal/bird life.. but expect more.. A tip for those who like Ding, you can get an annual pass for $12.. it last from month to month next year, so if you come same time .. one pass is good for two visits.

But I would suggest you contribute a little extra when you go into the 'lodge/gift shop' It is a good cause.

Also, made it to Blind pass.. where Captiva and Sanibel join... went about a mile in both directions and there is almost no sea weed.. the beaches are in good shape.

For those of you spectators (which I will be in another week).. sunny, 80, light breeze ...

5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Live from the beach - Pointe Santo

Hi FLinVT

If it makes you feel better, it's in the 40's, windy and rainy here in VT:) And getting colder! Thanks for the updates

-The neighbor downstairs

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Live from the beach - Pointe Santo

Hey guys on island

It seems all of West Gulf is being affected and how much varies. Hope the City starts doing reports again.

How's the shelling? And be sure to let us know if this front moving thru affects the red algae issue or clears it out. Usually the wind for the northwest bring the cooler dry air into Sanibel - as well as many shells. Lets hope it won't bring in more algae.

Keep us informed. Inquiring minds want to know. ;-)

Sanibel, FL
Level Contributor
926 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Live from the beach - Pointe Santo

I worked today and was not on the beach but all the departing guests were very happy ....everyday was different as far as the condition of the beach.........depending on where they were and how it was that day. Things just change every morning. Everyone that I Spoke to had a wonderful time and could not believe their week was over.............which is the typical departing emotion.

West Gulf continues to be the beach with the most problems. I hope to get out tomorrow and check it out myself.