We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a large 3 bedroom condo

louisville
Level Contributor
237 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for a large 3 bedroom condo

I am not familiar with Sanibel at all. We are looking for a 3 bedroom condo or house. Ideal bed configuration would be a master king, 2 queens and 2 twins. We want a large pool, and something close to the beach-one of our family has difficulty walking long distances. If anyone knows anything that comes close to this please let me know.Also a fishing dock would be good. Thanks

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a large 3 bedroom condo

Homes on Sanibel have a minimum rental of 28 days. A FEW condos have 3 bedrooms but not as many beds as you're looking for, but there is often a queen sleep sofa. Big pools are limited. Loggerhead Cay has a really nice one but the complex is large and popular. There is a public fishing pier on Sanibel's East End at Lighthouse Beach.

Captiva has many private homes that rent by the week and would be a short walk to both beach and the bay where folks like the Jensen's will often allow fishing off their docks. Or you can try the old docks behind the Green Flash Restaurant at the edge of the village area.

I don't know your budget, but a house that has similar bedding to your needs, though the 2 queens are separate rooms, is Hibiscus House. It's up a private lane from the beach and a block from the bay. Almost no stairs except to the loft bedroom with 4 twin beds and a bath. Another choice, though the 2 twins are a bit separate, is Bird of Paradise. Beautifully redone and open for renting in 2006. Its maybe a 3 minutes walk to the beach near the Chapel by the Sea also in the village area. This also has one flight of stairs to enter and then everything but the pool and the one bedroom is on the main floor. Cabo Wabo is brand new and has an elevator, but the pool is small. It has more bedrooms as well and is close enough to the bay that you can see it from for some of the many decks. Easy Gulf access, manybe a 5-7 minute walk. Island Girl is 1 or 2 houses in from the Gulf on the same private lane as Hibiscus House and has a really big private pool. Simple islandy style and again almost no stairs. Casa Shandria, formerly Manny Tee, just finished installing a new pool but it isn't large. It has exactly the bedding you want, is one story almost no stairs and is about 3-5 minutes from the beach and only very slightly longer to the bay. All homes in the Village area are walking distance to restaurants.

Captiva Sunset is a small group of homes on the edge of the village with a large community pool and houses that range from beachfront to 5-7 minute walk down private lanes to the beach. Many have bedding for 8. #45 has K/Q/TT/TT, #29 Q/Q/TT/SS, and others. Units 1-8 are beachfront. the highest number are near Captiva Drive. There are branches off the main lane and numbers wander in and out of the branches, so even when a number is low, it can be as far from the beach as say #45. ASK. I think dollar for dollar Sunset Captiva units are the best buy on Captiva and a limited number allow up to 8 people. They also have the great pool and are across Captiva Drive from the bayfront places where dock access can be had at Jensen's [ask permission] and up the road at Green Flash.

On the bay is Captiva Cove house with a good pool but the bedding would require the use of a sleep sofa. Private dock and about 800' to the beach down the drive and across Captiva Drive to deeded access. It's simple and beachy with just a few stairs.

To take a look at what's offered on Captiva, the above properties are on www.royalshell.com and www.captiva-island.com Others are available from various agencies and owners and prices range from about $2000 to over $6000 per week for a Gulf front home with pool.

On Sanibel, there are many beachfront condos with good pools. Loggerhead Cay is one and they may have a unit similar to what you're searching for. I recall seeing one at one point. Cyprina Beach townhome style condos are really big and have 3 bedrooms. Cyprina Beach 3 has K/Q/DD but no sleep sofa and a max of 6 people. Golden Beach are also townhome style and they have max of 8 people. Neither has a great pool, but they are adequate.

For the biggest band for the buck, you might find renting 2 condos side-by-side in a Gulf front complex is a better bet - IF that can be done. Ocean's Reach is a decent option and 2 of their 2 bed/2 bath condos are about the same price as the one at Cyprina Beach and less than most houses on Captiva, even the off beach ones.

The number in your party will play a big part in where you can rent as well. Sanibel does enforce occupancy limits, so please take that into account.

Too look around see www.scvrma.org, www.VRBO.com a site where you can search for direct from owner rentals by complex [just click to sort the listing by neighborhood], and www.sanibel-captiva.org

Rainstorm works at VIP and may know of more 3 bedroom units. Not many places have that much bedding unless you use sleep sofas, which to me are wonderfully uncomfortable.

louisville
Level Contributor
237 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a large 3 bedroom condo

Tourmaline-WOW-Thank you for the great information. That will give me many places to look. We will have 6 in our traveling group, my spouse, 2 older aunts, and our 17 and 13 year old. We all enjoy the pool but the aunts aren't as mobile and usually just enjoy a beach walk in the early morning and evening and enjoy staying close to the room during the day. I'd like to find something in the $2200-$2500 per week range in June or July. Because the aunts spend so much time inside we hope to find something pretty nice and comfortable. Thanks again.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a large 3 bedroom condo

There is a house that was enlarged to 4 bedrooms called the Mar Home. It is rented by ResortQuest using PMR as the local agent. Go to www.resortquest.com and select Florida and Captiva and don't enter and other data and click search. All of their properties on Captiva will pop. Mar Home has incorrect bedding info - I THINK! Give them a call because I think its K/Q/Q/TT Pool is so-so. Price is exactly right. If memory serves, the top floor is the master suite and the other bedrooms are are the main floor. It is located at the end of the private lane so it is further from the beach than the other I mentioned, but the price is right.

Don't be afraid to ask for a discount when calling the agency. Worst they can do is say no. Sometimes you can catch a break, but rarely on the popular homes like Island Girl and this one.

I'll look around and see if I can spot some in your price range.

I think you'll find 2 condos on Sanibel might work better. I'll look for two that have the kind of bedding you're looking for.

Tour

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,186 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a large 3 bedroom condo

Another place that may be worth checking into would be the Golden Beach townhomes. I believe there are only four units .They are 3 bedroom and on, or not far set back from, the beach with a decent pool. You may be able to obtain information by "Googling" Golden Beach Sanibel Island.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,186 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for a large 3 bedroom condo

Yes..."Googling" brought up two sites for Golden Beach

www.sanibelislandvacations.com

www.sanibelholiday.com

These are home pages so you will have to select the specific accommodation from there.

I think Golden Beach sounds like just what you are looking for. Lovely pool and beach views.

louisville
Level Contributor
237 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for a large 3 bedroom condo

Thanks for all the great info. Mar House looks very nice as does Golden Beach, so many choices-I'm suffering from system overload.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,186 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for a large 3 bedroom condo

Regarding the fishing dock amenity...The fishermen / women in your group will want to spend some time at the actual Sanibel "Fishing Dock". This is a popular destination down near the lighthouse at the SW end of the island...not far at all if you decide to stay on Sanibel rather than Captiva.

We have fished and, sometimes, just watched the action down there. It's kind of interesting because there are obviously a group of "regulars" who more or less stake out their favorite spots at the end of the pier and BOY! do they ever pull them in...sometimes one right after the other. Still plenty of room left out there for the rest of us, though...along with a bevy of hopeful birds who hang around hoping to snag an easy catch. Fun place....

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
201 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for a large 3 bedroom condo

I had this place bookmarked when we were looking for larger accomodations. We ended up not staying there, so I can't comment on the pool etc. Maybe someone else knows more about it.

sanibelprivateowners.com/genericsites/shorew…

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for a large 3 bedroom condo

I know that unit kiki as I stayed at the Shorewood years ago. It is - or more correctly WAS - beautifully done, but the screened porches actually face away from the Gulf and only a small section sort of peeks around the side of the building so you can get Gulf view. There were folks there when I was and I don't think I ever saw them sitting outside. It is the BIGGEST condo/townhome I can recall. I think VIP also manages this unit, but I could be wrong.

Judging from the photos, the pool has been improved since I was there and is now nicer than it was, but I don't think its bigger. The 3 bedroom I had was huge and has since been completely redone - thank heavens. It ran around 2500 sq ft and had a really big living area and porch. Since it was a top floor it also had vaulted ceilings. I think it still rents because I saw it when I was cruising the listing, but can't recall with whom.

Sanibel, FL
Level Contributor
927 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for a large 3 bedroom condo

Vip does manage that unit - Shorewood 4A

vip-vacationrentals.com/search/…

This is a very unique property on Sanibel 5 bedrooms - on the beach. 1 Queen - 2 King 2 twins and 2 twins. just renovated and perfect for a large family.

Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island