We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Red Algae - Some Hope?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,185 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Red Algae - Some Hope?

Posted This Morning on Another Sanibel Site: Seems some progress is being made in our campaign to protect Sanibel and the Gulf Waters!

Quotes from a newspaper article that says....“ People who have been fighting to protect the Caloosahatchee River's water quality won a significant battle Thursday morning. Agencies that manage Lake Okeechobee agreed to designate land where excess water from the lake can be stored in an emergency instead of being released into the river”....."Sanibel Mayor Carla Brooks Johnston told the district board that a short-term solution is important to give the estuary at the mouth of the river a chance to heal. She and others have complained that it's overloaded with nutrients and algae blooms caused by releases from Lake Okeechobee during the 2004 and 2005 hurricane seasons”....”We can't have that happen again”, Johnston said, "We need to be able to recover and have the waters clear themselves out. ... .. I'm pleased with the progress since I was here a year ago dialing 911," Johnston said. "We need proof and we need evidence and we need to see what exactly your plan is going to be."... “Johnston said the decision of the district and corps to work together on this issue is a vast improvement from last year, when they simply pointed fingers at each other. But, she said, more needs to be done to find additional water-storage areas.”

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Red Algae - Some Hope?

Thanks for posting this GM! This is indeed a first glimmer of hope that the real problems are finally being addressed. Why, even "W" acknowledged global warming last week!

It also serves to remind us that although the City of Sanibel might be mystifying in its ways of doing things- they spent 7 hours last week on Segways and about 90 minutes on the red drift algae problem- the problem is really not local.

Sanibel has not broken your heart; the state and federal agencies that are supposed to manage the health of our waterways have done this to us.

I encourage anyone who loves, loved or would like to love Sanibel, Captiva, or anywhere in the downstream of Lake O to not only write your elected officials but to also support and join the efforts of those who are fighting the fight.

One group that I encourage everyone to support is PURRE ( People United to Restore our Rivers and Estuaries". They can be found at:

www.purre.org.

They did a presentation to the Pointe Santo Association last week and the response was fabulous.

"Hope is the thing with feathers"- Emily Dickneson

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Red Algae - Some Hope?

I'm humming "At Last" here. But maybe I'm a cynic when it comes to government agencies. I'll believe it when I see it. Thanks so much for for posting a ray of light GrandmaMac. Fingers crossed.

Sanibel
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Red Algae - Some Hope?

Excuse me while I laugh out loud.

What great politicos Sanibel has and what great respect for Sanibel those "agencies" have for Sanibel!

What "agencies"? Our politicos didn't fight for tis effort, "ppl have..." as it noted. "They need proof, evidence, blah blah", give me a break. Ever been to a town hall meeting where everyone gets up and bitches a storm and all the folks sitting in the high backed swivel chairs nod and amend and look oh so interested?

But there is hope, "W" has acknowledged global warming!!!!

Excuse me while I laugh out loud.

4. Re: Red Algae - Some Hope?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2009, 03:16