We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Remo Condo 402 Rental from "Your Friend at the Beach"

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
258 posts
193 reviews
Save Topic
San Remo Condo 402 Rental from "Your Friend at the Beach"

Caution to those renting from www.yourfriendat thebeach.com -- San Remo Condos are great, I have stayed there previously, but do not rent from Nancy Fox of "Your Friend at the Beach". She quoted me a total price and I made air reservations expecting her to honor this price, as I had reconfirmed the price with her via email before making reservations. An hour later, when I went to pay and finalize, her invoice was MUCH higher than originally quoted in an email. She apologized for her "error" and said most people "understand there are additional fees included". I told her I thought TOTAL meant just that. She would not honor price and in the middle of discussing this issue she ended up renting to someone else. Totally unprofessional in my opinion. Ended up renting from someone else.

Niceville, Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Remo Condo 402 Rental from "Your Friend at the Beach"

I sincerely regret not living up to my hope to be your friend at the beach. As I was asked to discount that week and miscalculated the 11.5% tax in my head, I came up $40 over our agreed upon price. I should have immediately agreed to the discounted rate as I always strive to be a woman of my word. In all my years of renting condos, I have never made a more glaring mistake. And while you and I were emailing and talking, another guest booked the condo on my on line booking calendar. It should never have happened that way - and please know that every guest from now on will benefit from this hard lesson for me. I will apologize to you in person when you stay at someone else's beautiful condo at San Remo. Again, there is NO such thing as a good excuse and you have every right to be upset. My sincere apologies.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,237 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Remo Condo 402 Rental from "Your Friend at the Beach"

Well, as you say it was your mistake and you should have given this person the condo at the price you quoted.

And I haven't heard of online booking that can override the managment. If you were in the process of booking the unit, IMO you should have 'held it' for a short period so it was unavailable to be booked online.

But as least you came here to explain yourself.

Niceville, Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Remo Condo 402 Rental from "Your Friend at the Beach"

Thank you for your post. My on line system can only block for Owner's Use. Hindsight being 20-20, I should have bent my own rules and done that until I had resolved the issue with this poor guest. Thank you for your encouragement and insight.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,237 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Remo Condo 402 Rental from "Your Friend at the Beach"

Either change your system or override it by putting a hold saying it is for the owner. Then remove the hold once it is done.

It is a poor system that allows a firm booing by someone online when you could be ont he phone taking details and payment from another. Not fit for purpose and poor business practice. Ask whoever designed it to alter it.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Remo Condo 402 Rental from "Your Friend at the Beach"

I have to agree. This sounds top notch shady business to me. What it sounds like is you negotiated a price too low, tried to recoup your error in an underhanded manner and sent an inflated invoice, and while working that trick you then had a full price reservation that came through so you flat out dumped this person. i have several listings on vrbo and ALWAYS block out the dates when i have a verbal agreement. i then give at least 48 hours to secure payment, usually i give more than that. to each their own though. reminds me of a car deal i was involved in once. i wanted the same car as someone else and was in process of writing a check, had pen in hand, when the owner of the dealership came over the loudspeaker and said "got two people who want this xxx car; whoever writes the check first gets it". he knew i had pen in hand but the other person was offering more money. i walked out. you can't do business this way. we all realize the economy is not the best now but you can't be underhanded with people. i dont blame her for writing this review about your practices. hopefully you learned a lesson. these reviews are gonna cost more than what you lost on that deal, you know that's true.

Niceville, Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Remo Condo 402 Rental from "Your Friend at the Beach"

Again, I appreciate everyone's insight. I do want to let everyone know that my fees are clearly listed on VRBO and my website.. The guest in question was negotiating a discounted rental. I was off by $40 - but had already come down several hundred dollars. Please search my other reviews on VRBO and I trust you will see my guests have faith in me. I pray others will see that as well.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
258 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Remo Condo 402 Rental from "Your Friend at the Beach"

Nancy: this is what you stated when I said that I thought $xxxx was the total price, (and it was actually $80 more not $40): "That is as close as I can get it. I have already discounted it and understand if you wish to try elsewhere. I'll be more defined when I answer inquiries in the future – many times I am on my Blackberry and respond quickly without doing the math.... as this juncture, the condo is booked for your week. As I said, I was working too quickly having just returned from being out of town...A repeat guest had contacted me and asked for that same week. ....This unit is already booked.." This was after emailing each other back and forth all morning working out details and after i had confirmed several times that the total price was $xxxx. i understand $80 is not the end of the world, but sneaking the fees in at the end and then telling me that "most people understand that there are fees involved" really was pretty insulting, as I am sure I used the term "total price including all taxes and fees" many many times to confirm and reconfirm the price. Then for you to rent out from under me when we were literally still negotiating? What was that all about other than getting the higher rate from that person and getting off the hook with me? Yes, you did discount the rate, but that was YOUR choice. And I have it in writing many times over in our email conversations from those two days that the TOAL price was $xxxx.

Mobile,AL
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: San Remo Condo 402 Rental from "Your Friend at the Beach"

We have rented several condo's from Nancy Fox at "YourFriendatthe Beach.com " and found not a first class operation but a first class person. All accomodations were as presented and at reasoanble prices. In addition, the rentals came with ammenities above and beyond other properties on the gulf coast. Such as bikes, beach chairs and the complimentary monogrammed beach towels. Believe this...we are extremely particular about the properties where we stay on holiday. Our taste include million dollar properties, the French Quarter in New Orleans, and Cabo San Lucas, Mexico to name a few. Without a doubt, have no question about renting from Nancy Fox ," YourFriendattheBeach.Com."

Mr. & Mrs. John P. Domke II

Mentioned in this post
French Quarter
French Quarter
18,464 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
9. Re: San Remo Condo 402 Rental from "Your Friend at the Beach"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2011, 00:08
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: San Remo Condo 402 Rental from "Your Friend at the Beach"

It's obvious that you were specifically asked by Nancy to write this, as it is your first post on tripadvisor ever. I myself review often and also seek advice from others on tripadvisor. I find it amusing you post this at this particular time having never posted before.