We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fly in to Tampa or Fort Myers

Michigan
Level Contributor
338 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Fly in to Tampa or Fort Myers

Is Fort Myers much further from Sarasota than Tampa? I like Fort Myers because it seems less busy. I have Sprit credits to use so these are my only two flight choices. Thanks

Kentucky
Level Contributor
198 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fly in to Tampa or Fort Myers

Tampa is 55 miles from Sarasota; Fort Myers is about 85 miles. It all depends on your flights but either way is fine.

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
10,859 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fly in to Tampa or Fort Myers

If you have miles to use, I would fly into Ft. Myers. It is not that much further. I live south of downtown Sarasota and the Tampa Airport is 70 miles north. It takes maybe 5 -10 minutes more to Ft. Myers without the horrible traffic in St. Pete and Tampa.

~SRQgirl

Michigan
Level Contributor
338 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fly in to Tampa or Fort Myers

Good advice. I really dislike the traffic in Tampa. Thanks.

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
Level Contributor
4,186 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fly in to Tampa or Fort Myers

I live in central Sarasota, and for us we would always go to Sarasota airport if the fare is at all comparable but, if not, then go to Tampa. I've made it home from TPA in 1 1/2 hours and Ft. Myers is a lot longer for me. So I guess it all depends on a) where you can get the best rate, b) how the flight times fit into your schedule, and c) where in Sarasota you're going.

Berkshire
Level Contributor
651 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fly in to Tampa or Fort Myers

we always try to fly into sarasota or fort myers. both very quiet airports, generally empty compared to tampa. getting the car rental at sarasota is really easy and the cars are parked a 30 second walk from baggage pick-up.

hardly any traffic to battle against compared to tampa.

of course the cost of the flight is what will probably decide for you!!

Michigan
Level Contributor
338 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fly in to Tampa or Fort Myers

Thanks, I would love Sarasota airport. Unfortunately Spirit doesn't fly into there. Also, after April non-stops from Detroit are difficult to find. We made arrangements to fly from Ft. Myers. Hope the Red Tide isn't there when we are.

7. Re: Fly in to Tampa or Fort Myers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 16:19
Get answers to your questions about Sarasota