We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lido Key

Merritt Island...
Level Contributor
236 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Lido Key

We are staying two nights at the Lido Beach Resort next week. I have a few questions.

- I would like to take a run one morning - are there sidewalks in the area?

- I've looked at the restaurant suggestions on the restaurant page but can't seem to orient myself as to what is where and actually close to the resort. What is good near-by for lunch and dinner - by good I mean family oriented, casual for lunch and maybe one night a little nicer. I had thought about Columubia's but it received poor reviews. I've been to one before and enjoyed, just wanted some other takes. We'll try the Salty Dog, I'm sure. One post mentioned a place where they serve food on frisbees. Where is that located? Any outstanding seafood restaurants?

I'm from the east coast of Florida and this will be my first trip to the west coast (I've lived here 35 years, shameful I know). I'm really excited!

Thank you!!

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
10,730 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lido Key

Yes. There are sidewalks for you to take a run. You can also run on the beach. The sand is compacted close to the water.

There are many dining options on St. Armands Circle. An informal place, great for kids is ChaCha Coconuts. It is next door to the Columbia. They have burgers, fish sandwiches, seasoned fries etc.

You can sit outside and watch the world go by.

There are menus posted outside of most restaurants on the Circle.

(Keep in mind you are talking about a very touristy area.)

The Salty Dog is across the street from Mote Marine Aquarium

Kids love both places. Mote also has a really good boat ride in the Bay to look for dolphins and other critters for an extra charge.

(This is on the way to Longboat Key)

On Longboat Key, the DryDock Waterfront Grill is kid friendly.

There is also PattiGeorge's (on a marina; more upscale)

Cafe on the Bay, Harry's Continental Kitchen and more.

One of the best is the Beach Bistro, but It is more for adults IMO.

There are many seafood places on the mainland, scuh as Barnacle Bills, the Bonefish Grill etc. but since you only have 2 nights, you might as well enjoy Lido Key and Longboat.

You can also have lunch at the Lido Beach Resort, since you will be at the beach.. (Having lived on the east coast for many years, you're in for a big treat over here....)

Enjoy..

~SRQgirl

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
Level Contributor
4,186 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lido Key

For running, the most popular place in Sarasota seems to be our "hill" -- which is actually the long bridge heading out of downtown to St. Armands and Lido/Longboat. That might be a bit farther than you were thinking, though.

SRQgirl's restaurants are all good suggestions. I'd add several others to consider. For a dinner, take a look at Cafe L'Europe (on St. Armands, next to Columbia). For a lunch, there are many popular sidewalk restaurants along Main Street in downtown Sarasota; that would give you a different perspective on the city.

Merritt Island...
Level Contributor
236 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lido Key

Thanks for the great tips - we're off tomorrow morning and really looking forward to it (running shoes packed)!

Buffalo, NY
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lido Key

So how was the trip? Where did you go around Lido Beach Resort? We'll be there next month.

Thanks

Merritt Island...
Level Contributor
236 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lido Key

The trip was great, thanks for asking. I posted reviews on the hotels and on the acitivities we did. I think if you click on the "About SShuttle" link the reviews will come up.

The resort was very nice. It was close to a nice area with shopping and restaurants. Our "little Nicer" dinner was at the Lido Bar and Grill (I think that was the name) at St. Armands circle. The lobster bisque was wonderful but my chicken dish was not good. We really didn't eat anywhere I would recommend.

My son's favorite activity was the GWIZ science center in Sarasota. He also enjoyed the Tibbals minature circus at the Ringling Brothers property (house, art musem, circus museum, and minature circus are all on the same property). I highly recommend seeing it, it's amazing.

Just reply if you have anymore questions.

Buffalo, NY
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Lido Key

Nice Reviews. What are the names restaurants you went to that you would not recommend? I've heard good things about most of the other restaurants in the St. Armand's Circle area. Any idea what the walk is actually like from Lido Beach Resort to the Circle? I do not want to rent a car- No Stress Vacation! Someone else mentioned the cab fare is only about $20 from SRQ to Lido Beach Resort so I can handle that for both ways. Thanks

Merritt Island...
Level Contributor
236 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lido Key

It is a 3/4 mile walk to St. Armands, along a sidwalk next to the beach. It's a nice walk. If you don't want to walk, the hotel is really great about dropping you off and picking you up.

Lido Grille was the restaurant at St. Armands. It wasn't awful, I just picked a bad dish. There was a mexcian restaurant up stairs from it and that looked good (for the record the waitress at the Lido Grille said it was very good). Also, across the way there was a Caribbean restaurant and Columbias and they both were very crowded. We took breakfast food with us so we did not eat breakfast out. We did eat dinner one night on the pool deck which was fun. I had crispy shrimp which were great. The restaurant at the hotel, Christophers, looked very nice. If we were staying longer I would have liked to try it.

Buffalo, NY
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Lido Key

Thanks for the help-sounds like a good time. I can't wait to go.

9. Re: Lido Key

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 01:18