We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Better weather for beach vacation - March or April?

cqt
Southern California
Level Contributor
274 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Better weather for beach vacation - March or April?

We're planning a trip to Sarasota in March or April - we normally always go in November when the weather is great for the beach.

March is better for us from a schedule perspective, but how is the weather? Is it beach weather or playing in the water?

Or is April better?

Many thanks in advance!

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Better weather for beach vacation - March or April?

March is often still jeans and sweaters weather, at least for locals. May get some nice days, but the water is also very chilly at that time. Keep in mind that both months are high season,and very crowded, not at all like November, when things are still pretty sleepy. It's also more expensive.

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
10,621 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Better weather for beach vacation - March or April?

March is the spring break crowd. Lots of families and as stated in the previous post..higher rates and less availability. Long lines at the restaurants...

April is warmer fo rthe beach/Gulf.

~SRQgirl

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Better weather for beach vacation - March or April?

Per the weather gurus, the average daytime high in mid-March is 78 and average nighttime low is 58. By mid-April, the average high is 83 and average low is 63. You're safer if you wait 'til April. Better yet, if you push the date back toward late April then you'll be able to get some greatly-discounted rates on places to stay.

Our water temps right now are around 70-72 and they'll probably dip down to 65-67 by January or early February. I'd guess they'd be in the low 70's to mid 70's by March, and climbing.

Cincinnati OH
Level Contributor
254 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Better weather for beach vacation - March or April?

I usually visit in April every year and I am never disappointed! It you like arts and craft shows, April is the time to visit. I visit for Siesta Fiesta in April. I haven't seen when the date is for 2008. THey block off the streets in downtown Siesta Key and all the craft vendors line both sides of the streets. It is very big. There is usually a craft fair in St. Armands Circle at this time as well. Also there's the Venice Shark Tooth Festival the last week of April or first week of May.

5. Re: Better weather for beach vacation - March or April?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 09:26
Get answers to your questions about Sarasota