We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight stop between Cleveland and Sarasota

Berea, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Overnight stop between Cleveland and Sarasota

Already I'm so very weary of the cold temperatures and grey skies, the snow and slush, that I'm plotting our winter escape South. Most likely we won't be able to come until early March, but for the first time we're considering driving. We'd like to break up the 18-hour, 1147-mile drive from Cleveland to Sarasota. Any recommendations from Buckeye snowbirds for a location for a midway overnight stop along I-77?

Has anyone tried doing this with a day of driving and then spending two nights in Charleston before proceeding to Sarasota? We had been considering an April vacation to Charleston itself, but I don't think I can endure four more months of Cleveland winter without a break.

Mich
Level Contributor
172 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight stop between Cleveland and Sarasota

Midway would put you close to Charlotte,NC. Mooresville, a little north of Charlotte, has some good choices for hotels and eats. Should be good rates at that time of the year.

Berea, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight stop between Cleveland and Sarasota

We're also considering adding Amelia Island to our itinerary. We'd be driving from Ohio, spending two nights in Charleston, visiting relatives in Sarasota over a weekend and then possibly spending 2-3 days on Amelia Island before driving back to Ohio. Any comments?

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
10,582 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight stop between Cleveland and Sarasota

Amelia Island is a wonderful place to visit...could be chilly though..depends on the weather..you should keep your options open..

~SRQgirl

Berea, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnight stop between Cleveland and Sarasota

I'm certain that we'll get back to Sarasota some day, but for 2009 it's set that my Lakewood Ranch stepson and his wife will join us on Amelia Island for a long weekend (saving us more than nine hours driving).

5. Re: Overnight stop between Cleveland and Sarasota

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 05:29