We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Osprey trip in late January

Twin Cities
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Osprey trip in late January

I've just booked tx to visit a friend who lives near Sarasota in Osprey. I'm not an avid traveler, and my husband and mother are sending me on a weekend relaxation vacation! Can't say I know what to do with myself :) At the time of the trip I will be 24 weeks pregnant so can't take up any wild activities while there!

In terms of traveling alone, parks, beaches condusive to reading, and such, what recommendations do you have? I have traveled to Siesta Key, Fort Myers, and Tampa, but it was years ago.

Thanks so much for taking my vague travel question.

Mentioned in this post
Sarasota
Sarasota
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Fort Myers Beach
Fort Myers Beach
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
11,048 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Osprey trip in late January

There are plenty of things to do.

Turtle Beach on the south end of Siesta Key is less crowded. It is very close to the parking area, so it's not a long walk to reach the water. Across the street are 2 places to eat.

Oscar Scherer State Park (US41 is in Osprey. Historic Spanish Point is too. www.historicspanishpoint.org

Have you been to Selby Gardens? A 20 minute drive from Osprey.

Need more?

Where are you staying?

~SRQgirl

Mentioned in this post
Oscar Scherer State Park
Oscar Scherer State Park
268 Reviews
Osprey, FL
Historic Spanish Point
Historic Spanish Point
312 Reviews
Osprey, FL
Twin Cities
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Osprey trip in late January

Will be staying right in Osprey. I'd read that there aren't any public beaches there so thank goodness Siesta is so close (didn't realize it, looked at a map last night). I'd say for a long weeekend, between Oscar Scherer State Park and the Siesta beaches, I should be set.

Also, have to share what a great deal I got on airline and car. Flying from MSP into TPA for a cash and miles promotion, using 25k miles and only $103+tax. That's it for round trip. There was a great last minute car rental deal through Alamo, about $17/day (compact, but it's just me).

Mentioned in this post
Oscar Scherer State Park
Oscar Scherer State Park
268 Reviews
Osprey, FL
sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,048 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Osprey trip in late January

Good deal, EvansMom.

If you need more info, let me know. There are 3 major public beach areas on Siesta with different access points.

Turtle Beach

Crescent Beach

Siesta Key Public Beach (largest parking lot with concessions/bathrooms etc.) might be the best choice.

www.siestakeychamber.com

~SRQgirl

Mentioned in this post
Crescent Beach
Crescent Beach
850 Reviews
Siesta Key, FL
Cincinnati OH
Level Contributor
257 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Osprey trip in late January

I find a great spot to go to is the North Jetty at Nokomis Beach which is right next to where you are staying. It's a great spot for shelling, for watching the boats coming in and out at Venice and I always see dolphin.

Another place I just discovered on this last trip was the beach down from Venice public beach. I think it starts with a C; it's down pass Sharky's. Maybe SRQ girl can help us out. It's a very relaxing place to sit and read. Not many people at this beach. I hear it's also a great place for shark tooth hunting :)

Englewood is another great place for beaches, about 1/2 an hour from you. A really great spot here is Stump Pass. It's a park. They have great restroom facilities. Again, it's not crowded. It's a great walk down the beach!

Mentioned in this post
Nokomis Beach
Nokomis Beach
698 Reviews
Nokomis, FL
Venice
Venice
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Englewood
Englewood
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,048 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Osprey trip in late January

You are talking about Casperson Beach which is where Sharkey's is located.

JMHO, but I prefer the sand on Siesta...

But...it's all good!

~SRQgirl

Twin Cities
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Osprey trip in late January

Thanks to both for the ideas, I'm going to look them up online and bring the info with me. Reading and beach-sitting is just what this pregnant lady is looking to do.

Granted it's cold there this week, but at least better than our current (actual) temp of -19 and windchill of -34. I'll take anything over this stuff! But hey it's supposed to warm up to 35 next week.... : )

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,048 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Osprey trip in late January

Wow!! It's warming up in MN...drag out the swim suit!

:-)

~SRQgirl (in a sweatshirt)(brrr)

8. Re: Osprey trip in late January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 20:16