We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recently Returned From Sarasota

nyc
Level Contributor
76 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Recently Returned From Sarasota

I was in Sarasota in the beginning of February, and unfortunately, it was during the cold snap. I tried to go to Siesta Key one day early on, which I blogged/photographed about (travelogged.com/travelogged/2009/02/this-bea…) and was freezing. But, I still had a good time in Sarasota and made it some evenings to Siesta Key to see the incredible sunsets -- wore my coat.

I had some great meals in Sarasota -- Phillipi Creek Village Restaurant (http://www.creekseafood.com/), Roy's (the Hawaiian fusion chain) and Mattison's 41 (which had live music that night).

Because the weather wasn't very good, it forced us to explore what Sarasota has to offer -- luckily it has a lot. Even just walking around the bay is nice -- you have to see the "Unconditional Surrender" sculpture, which I photographed/blogged abt here:

travelogged.com/travelogged/2009/02/the-kiss…

You can easily spend the whole day at the Ringling Museum of Art -- a compound of several buildings. There's the main art museum, a gorgeous pink mansion. But, I actually enjoyed seeing Ca D'Zan more -- that's where the Ringlings lived when they were in FL for the winter. I also loved the miniature circus in the Tibbals Learning Center -- I took a lot of photos of it:

travelogged.com/travelogged/2009/02/can-you-…

We also went to the Marie Selby Botanical Gardens. The grounds are very nice (great Banyan trees!), but it's probably better in the spring. Their orchid collection is really something -- I wrote about it and posted photos in my blog:

travelogged.com/travelogged/2009/02/selby-bo…

Also, they had a really cool plant there -- a pitcher plant:

travelogged.com/travelogged/2009/02/the-weir…

Have fun if you go to Sarasota! Chances are good that your weather will be better than mine...

Berea, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recently Returned From Sarasota

Too bad you missed Jan. 25-30 when we were vacationing on Longboat Key in chamber of Commerce perfect weather with highs up to 80. Nonetheless your blog's terrific fun to read.

nyc
Level Contributor
76 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recently Returned From Sarasota

Thanks, Pat! I'm so glad you enjoyed my blog. I was in Sarasota for a week visiting family and then my husband came down to meet me and we drove 7 hours to Key West for four nights. We had perfect weather in Key West and the weather was also perfect in Sarasota (but we missed it). Then we returned to Sarasota for the weekend and the weather wasn't really that great again. Oh well, next time!

If you're interested in reading about our drive to Key West:

travelogged.com/travelogged/2009/02/driving-…

And here's my post all about what we did in Key West:

travelogged.com/travelogged/2009/02/key-west…

Berea, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recently Returned From Sarasota

I may be Travelogged.com's newest fan. I had as much fun reading the links for KW as those for Sarasota.

Florida's a frequent vacation destination for us as it's also an opportunity to connect with my stepson who lives in the Sarasota area. Even though we found Longboat Key in January to be sublime, we're also open to traveling to other areas after spending some time with our relatives. My husband lived in Florida for almost two years in the 80s and has been to Key West several times; he says everyone should have the experience of sunset from Mallory Dock at least once in a lifetime.

We're considering a 7-10 day itinerary that would include flying in and out of Tampa with one night spent in the Sarasota area. We'd plan on driving the Keys as you did.

nyc
Level Contributor
76 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recently Returned From Sarasota

Hi Pat, that sounds like a great trip. And it's great that you have 7-10 days. We left Sarasota on a Monday (for the keys) and returned on a Friday and it felt a little rushed -- if only because we liked Key West so much. Are you considering spending a night in the Everglades area? Originally we had wanted to do that but then we realized that we wouldn't have enough time because the keys were so faraway. Also, I wonder how Sarasota's Myakka Park compares to the Everglades? I didn't get to go to Myakka this time but will definitely go next time...

5. Re: Recently Returned From Sarasota

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 06:19